Big wooden snake.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
corsasi

Post by corsasi »

spoke to my mum aboutr the snake and she remembers it too, and we both remember something about it being at rothwell leisure center at some point aswell?

edlong

Post by edlong »

I remember the snake, the "jardiniere" cafe and the elevated walkways...Perhaps a new thread needed for the walkways, but does anyone know how many bits are left - there's the bits along from city square, now isolated, and of course the bit on the bank of england that never joined up to anything...anything else left?

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

A-M wrote: I'm 24 and remember playing on it - very bizarre structure and probably nowadays some PC busibody would instruct it to be smashed to bits on grounds of health and safetyI would have only been around 5 or 6 at the time so it's one of those things I thought i'd imagined....until I saw this threadOn a sidenote, I always thought there used to be miniture red buses in glass cabinets on The Headrow - does anyone know if these actually existed?Joined the forum today, and think it's absolute quality Hi AM, would you be referring to the disply pillars outside the old Schofields? They used to put all sorts in there and red buses ring a bell (no pun intended, but I'll claim it anyway!!!) with me too! There were 4 or 5 pillars outside if I remember rightly? It's not a very good pic, but found this on Leodis.
Attachments
__TFMF_5l2igk2an4f5dtfxq0rpys55_d88c5228-3177-4ce4-9828-b5abbc5bffc7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_5l2igk2an4f5dtfxq0rpys55_d88c5228-3177-4ce4-9828-b5abbc5bffc7_0_main.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

Si

Post by Si »

I remember queuing around that corner at 5 am for tickets for Bob Dylan at Blackbush in the late 70s. I don't recall where they were selling them, but they sold out just as we got to the counter!

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

I remember the snake also, I just wish I had a picture of it...I think my old man might have one though!!!
I'll be back (arnie)

leeds_girlie

Post by leeds_girlie »

Oh my god! I remember this! EVERY time my mum would take me into Leeds, I'd nag her to go through it - and every time I would cry half way through the snake and demand to be allowed out! What did the Bond Street centre used to look like? I'm sure there was a cafe of some kind next to the snake! Was it by BHS?Happy times.

A-M

Post by A-M »

Leeds Lass wrote: A-M wrote: I'm 24 and remember playing on it - very bizarre structure and probably nowadays some PC busibody would instruct it to be smashed to bits on grounds of health and safetyI would have only been around 5 or 6 at the time so it's one of those things I thought i'd imagined....until I saw this threadOn a sidenote, I always thought there used to be miniture red buses in glass cabinets on The Headrow - does anyone know if these actually existed?Joined the forum today, and think it's absolute quality Hi AM, would you be referring to the disply pillars outside the old Schofields? They used to put all sorts in there and red buses ring a bell (no pun intended, but I'll claim it anyway!!!) with me too! There were 4 or 5 pillars outside if I remember rightly? It's not a very good pic, but found this on Leodis. HelloThanks for that picture. I don't remember the old Schofields at all. The cabinets i'm on about were as they are in that picture but with red buses in them and i'm certain now (in my mind anyway!) that they were actually in the middle of the street across the road and back from where that picture was taken, somewhere in front of where the Light is now. I don't think the cabinets had anything to do with a shop, they were just there, for some strange reason.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

leeds_girlie wrote: Oh my god! I remember this! EVERY time my mum would take me into Leeds, I'd nag her to go through it - and every time I would cry half way through the snake and demand to be allowed out! What did the Bond Street centre used to look like? I'm sure there was a cafe of some kind next to the snake! Was it by BHS?Happy times. Have a look further up the thread!

leeds_girlie

Post by leeds_girlie »

Oh yeah *blushes* I was so excited that someone else remembered the scary snake I didn't read it properly!

tomd89

Post by tomd89 »

This appears to be the thread discussing the Leeds skyway, so I'll post this here.Does anyone have any information about the secret skyway that is in Millgarth police station which can be seen quite clearly from the bottom of the Headrow and goes to a railed up hole in the wall on the front of the police station, and also how it was going to connect to the skyway in City Square?I know it sounds a bit sad, but I find it really intriguing!