Big wooden snake.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Mork of Ork

Post by Mork of Ork »

Does anyone remember the big wooden snake thing that used to be in the Bond Street Centre (as it was). It was some kind of big activity thing for kids to climb through and when I was a lad we used to always ask if we could have a go in the big snake.It seemed to just disappear suddenly, maybe when it became the Leeds Shopping Plaza?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Yeah I remember this it was GREAT. It had sections that were exposed and then others that were closed up. I think it was somewhere near Mothercare in like a corner. I used to love that. cant see any pics of it on Leodis though - I wonder if there are any knocking about anywhere,.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I remember some cafe also near there and at christmas time there would be a Santa place for the kids to visit. Cant remember the cafe name but the front was sort of exposed and i think it was green. You could sit outside I think also. - Only pic I can find on Leodis is attached.
Attachments
__TFMF_h0yl0uu05flrfa55vwab5xas_cfe68ace-f9ec-40cd-a602-d3d005dca3c0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_h0yl0uu05flrfa55vwab5xas_cfe68ace-f9ec-40cd-a602-d3d005dca3c0_0_main.jpg (58.54 KiB) Viewed 4477 times

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

LS1 wrote: I remember some cafe also near there and at christmas time there would be a Santa place for the kids to visit. Cant remember the cafe name but the front was sort of exposed and i think it was green. You could sit outside I think also. - Only pic I can find on Leodis is attached. I think it looked better then than it does now,i remember the centre as being light and airy where now its all closed in.Thank god they are doing it out,lets hope to a better standard!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

LS1

Post by LS1 »

It did look loads better, bit tatty mind but nothing I guess a lick of paint wouldnt have solved!

AliceCake

Post by AliceCake »

The upstairs cafe in here was ace. I think it was called the Garden or Terrace cafe, and you could get coke floats - excellent times... x

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Was that not in the St Johns Centre the Terrace cafe. Its still there isn't it

AliceCake

Post by AliceCake »

No definitely in Bond Street Centre. It had a load of plastic grapes hanging from the ceilling as I recall, and as I kid I though this was dead classy! Perhaps it was called something else - The Vinery? I think I remember the old snake too... My earliest memories are going into town with my mum in my pushchair, and getting the bus home to Rodley from outside the giant metal horse outside the Lloyds bank on Park Row...

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Yeah alice your right that is the one I was thinking of. Going in there and then on the snake- no PSP, no Nintendo, being amused by a block of wood in a shopping centre!Still kind of makes be a bit excited / nostalgic thinking about it,

slw

Post by slw »

Was the cafe called Le Jardin ? Does anyone remember the clock that used to be in the ceiling ? It was just above where the Christmas tree is in the picture. The clock was squares with minutes numbered in each one and the squares lit up.Bond Street seemed much busier then.