Big wooden snake.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
clarebear

Post by clarebear »

Wow, I remember the snake albeit vaguely I have been tryoing to hunt out any photos of this, and during the hunt came across a similar hunt for a snake in St. Helens (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater) I thought I would add these two photos that I found there and see if anyone knew whether the Leeds snake looked like the St. Helens snake?

Mork of Ork

Post by Mork of Ork »

Yes, it's the same kind of thing but with a different layout. Excellent find!

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

I remember the wooden snake too.It was definately there in 1984 ,my little son was fascinated with it but never dare go inside for a long long time and was all smiley when he eventually did,think he popped his head out somewhere in the middle. I used to have a sit down next to a massive ash tray and have a Benson and Hedges : ) Good Days.I would really love to see a photo of the wooden snake.I wonder if it belonged to Mothercare?

duxglvr

Post by duxglvr »

Thanks for the memories guys I used to go on the snake when I went in to town with my grandparents (Probably after fleecing them at Jolly Giants! God I loved that place )

polo

Post by polo »

In relation to this snake I remember it clearly and ive spent the last hour trying to locate a pic to no avail.Sorry to be a sceptic but i dont think one exists i'd love to be wrong though and i can say it was not the same one as posted earlier on this thread although similar.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

But there is no picture of it on here?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

LS1 wrote: But there is no picture of it on here? There was a link I think to the other one on here at some time. Exhaustive pleas and searching never actually resulted in us getting/finding one of the LEEDS snake though.(have you mailed dsco btw?)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

chameleon wrote: LS1 wrote: But there is no picture of it on here? There was a link I think to the other one on here at some time. Exhaustive pleas and searching never actually resulted in us getting/finding one of the LEEDS snake though.(have you mailed dsco btw?) Yeah think he is sorting it out. I did think that I had seen a pic of the snake somewhere but it was ages ago so thought my memory was playing tricks.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Yer the wooden snake was a great thing, I remember it was surrounded by like a wooden fence or something and there were benches around the outside of it so parents could have a sit down with their shopping and watch their kids playing. I was young enough to play on it in the 80s, I think it was still there into the 90s? Mind you with its location being up near Mothercare you might never have seen it if you had no reason to go up to that end of the Bond Street centre.The Skyways at the bottom of Park Row were great, they must have been part of some utopian vision of the future that the 1960s architects hoped would culminate with us all 'living in the sky'! I remember they were there right up until they pulled down the old tower block that was on the opposite side of city square to the Queens Hotel - wasnt it like an insurance company or something? I remember when they were demolishing it there was a tragedy where a demolition worker was killed when a crane fell several stories through the tower block it was demolishing. However before the building was demolished on one incredible evening myself and several friends were walking down Park Row and we noticed the door to the old tower block was open so we went inside for a wander around - in an urban exploration capacity of course! Anyway it was really fascinating, the whole building was vacant, only they were leaving the lights on at night as they'd created an image of a xmas tree in the windows of the tower block that faced onto City Square. We had the total run of the place for a few hours, we toured the whole place and saw plush board rooms, stainless steel bank vaults, the old chairmans and directors offices all decked out in fancy wooden panelling.Best of all was when we got to the top floor there was a split level penthouse apartment with balcony / roof terrace garden - the whole place was decorated in the height of 1960s state of the art interior design! I wonder who actually lived there in the days before inner city living had become so trendy?
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge