Big wooden snake.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Croggy

Post by Croggy »

slw wrote: Was the cafe called Le Jardin ? Does anyone remember the clock that used to be in the ceiling ? It was just above where the Christmas tree is in the picture. The clock was squares with minutes numbered in each one and the squares lit up.Bond Street seemed much busier then.     Yes, I thought Le Jardin too - or Jardinaire or something?It had an iron spiral starcase at one time if I remember correctly.That clock was great - people used to stand in the centre, looking up at noon to watch it, lol.

AliceCake

Post by AliceCake »

Yeah, that's right - Le Jardin or something (that's where I got The Garden from, because I am so very bright)! I can't remember what the clock was like though...

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

I think the Jardiniere is the one in the St johns Centre now. I used to love the Bond Street centre. Does anyone recall leaving by the exit upstais that took you over a footbridge over Park Row infront of where the new buildings are now. It came out at the back of the shops on Infirmary Street and you went down a big spiral staircase.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

FarnleyBloke wrote: I think the Jardiniere is the one in the St johns Centre now. I used to love the Bond Street centre. Does anyone recall leaving by the exit upstais that took you over a footbridge over Park Row infront of where the new buildings are now. It came out at the back of the shops on Infirmary Street and you went down a big spiral staircase. Certainly do - didn't it start between what was C & A and the Co Op (long since boarded-up) and go round theback of the Peel on Boar Lane, or was that just another route. I seem to remember that the intention was to develop the Aerial Walkway further to allow you to avoid the busy roads below - but never got it further than you describe.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Different walkways Chameleon. The one Farnley bloke is talking about began on a flat (no steps formed) escalator/walkway by the entrance to Boots (the escalator was hardly ever working so it was just a metal slope in reality). There was then an exit from the building onto an external walkway which ran parallel to the side of the building, now demolished, above Mill Hill Chapel. It zig zagged down to the ground on a ramp on the east side of Park Row and I believe did bridge Park Row but I don't really recall how that came back to earth on the Infirmary Street side.There was/(is?) a ramp down between what was the Coop and CandA but ths was more an extension of the pedestrainaised zone at the back of the bond Street Centre. There is also the covered escalator that is adjacent to what was Jacommellis and led to/from the end of the "arcade" with Mothercare and one side of the top floor of BHS on.    
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

slw

Post by slw »

AliceCake wrote: Yeah, that's right - Le Jardin or something (that's where I got The Garden from, because I am so very bright)! I can't remember what the clock was like though... I cannot find a picture of the clock but if you look at the photo on this thread there are 2 mirrors to the left of the Bond Street sign and you can see the reflection of the clock squares in it. I know its not very clear but it'll give you an idea of what it was like

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

tyke bhoy wrote: Different walkways Chameleon. The one Farnley bloke is talking about began on a flat (no steps formed) escalator/walkway by the entrance to Boots (the escalator was hardly ever working so it was just a metal slope in reality). There was then an exit from the building onto an external walkway which ran parallel to the side of the building, now demolished, above Mill Hill Chapel. It zig zagged down to the ground on a ramp on the east side of Park Row and I believe did bridge Park Row but I don't really recall how that came back to earth on the Infirmary Street side.There was/(is?) a ramp down between what was the Coop and CandA but ths was more an extension of the pedestrainaised zone at the back of the bond Street Centre. There is also the covered escalator that is adjacent to what was Jacommellis and led to/from the end of the "arcade" with Mothercare and one side of the top floor of BHS on.     That's right I remember now - you're right about the walkway rarely working too! I seem to think on the Infirmry Street side it simply came to a dead-end for the extension that never happened.

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

When I was at school, (early 80s) the green covered escalator adjacent to Jacommellis/BHS was used as a meeting place for us - referred to as 'the caterpillar'!

Mork of Ork

Post by Mork of Ork »

We always used to ask if we could go on the big escalator when we went into town as kids.

AliceCake

Post by AliceCake »

chameleon wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: Different walkways Chameleon. The one Farnley bloke is talking about began on a flat (no steps formed) escalator/walkway by the entrance to Boots (the escalator was hardly ever working so it was just a metal slope in reality). There was then an exit from the building onto an external walkway which ran parallel to the side of the building, now demolished, above Mill Hill Chapel. It zig zagged down to the ground on a ramp on the east side of Park Row and I believe did bridge Park Row but I don't really recall how that came back to earth on the Infirmary Street side.There was/(is?) a ramp down between what was the Coop and CandA but ths was more an extension of the pedestrainaised zone at the back of the bond Street Centre. There is also the covered escalator that is adjacent to what was Jacommellis and led to/from the end of the "arcade" with Mothercare and one side of the top floor of BHS on.     That's right I remember now - you're right about the walkway rarely working too! I seem to think on the Infirmry Street side it simply came to a dead-end for the extension that never happened. Thanks Chameleon, still can't really see the clock. What a shame. We still call the escalators down to Boar Lane the "smartie tubes". It was a bit of a meeting place when we were kids...