Murder of Leeds Poet 1978

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
TABBYCAT

Re: Murder of Leeds Poet 1978

Post by TABBYCAT »

tilly wrote:
Tue 07 Dec, 2021 6:53 pm
Talking about the ripper i was interviewed by the police, at the time i was working on contract to British Rail on track side lighting.I was seen driving the land rover at different times driving around Leeds at night the police man who interviewed me said i knew it was not you we were looking for the minuet you opened your mouth you have a yorkshire accent just goes to show how wrong they were.They were at the time looking for someone with a geordie accent.
I didn't know R.P.T were doing BR lighting that early Sid, thought it was much later, so much for memory eh? :lol:

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

So far as relates to the ‘Lonely Jim’ murder, I did some research on this case a few years ago. I wasn’t involved in the case myself as I was a Uniform Sergeant at Dewsbury Road Police Station at the time of the murder. I had an interest in the case as I was brought up off Woodhouse Street, not far from the murder scene, and I spent much of my childhood playing on Woodhouse Moor.

The murder took place on 2nd March 1973, at Moor View, Hyde Park, which is a short terrace of three houses, off Hyde Park Road, which face on to the moor and also the statue of Sir Robert Peel. The houses have steep steps up to the entrances and I think that the murder was committed at number 3 (R/H side). I think that some of the houses may have been split up into a flats and I seem to remember a dental practice at one of the houses.

The deceased person was James Alfred Cockerell (B. 23/8/07, M. 7/62, D. 2/3/73). I think that he was born in Naas near to Dublin. He married Phyllis May Atkinson (a local Woodhouse lady) in Leeds in July 1962. Phyllis May Cockerell (B. 17/2/08, M. 7/62) died on 22nd April 1971.

The man who was arrested and charged with the offence was William Vauls Clements (B. 1934 approx.), who lived a short distance from the murder scene, in Regent Park Terrace (behind the Hyde Park Public House). I have no knowledge of any evidence or grounds for him being arrested and charged with the murder but there obviously must have been sufficient to charge him (albeit these were the days before the Crown Prosecution Service was established in 1986 and, at that time, the Police used solicitors from the Town Clerk’s Department for advice). I have been unable to find out any further information about Clements.

Clements appeared at Leeds Crown Court and was acquitted in October 1973.

It is true that apart from House to House enquiries in the area, the Police attempted to trace, identify and eliminate about 10,000 students from Leeds University and also glean any forthcoming information about the murder.

I managed to find a couple of newspaper articles about the case in the Leeds University newspaper called ‘Leeds Student’. Details are here:

‘Leeds Student’ Newspaper - Friday 2nd November 1973.
Man cleared in Lonely Jim case.
A man accused of the murder which led to the interrogation of every University student, last March, has been cleared.
William Vauls Clements, 39, of Regent Park Terrace, Hyde Park, was found not guilty of murdering James Alfred Cockerell, 66, a widower, known as lonely Jimmy, of Moor View, Hyde Park, Leeds, at the City's Crown Court last week.
Visitor.
Mr Clements had been a regular visitor to the dead man's flat but had not seen him on the day of his death. It took the jury 17 minutes to decide that Mr Clements, a labourer, was not guilty. Outside the court he said: "I am glad it's all over."
http://digital.library.leeds.ac.uk/1006 ... 71_000.pdf

‘Leeds Student’ Newspaper - Friday 9th November 1973
Police to destroy files on students.
Leeds City Police have announced that they intend to destroy all the statements taken from students during the 'Lonely Jim murder hunt'. Almost all the university's 10,000 students were interviewed last March in a bid to find the murderer of James Cockerell who was stabbed at his home in Moor View, Hyde Park.
Two weeks ago a man charged by police for committing the crime was cleared by Leeds Crown Court. A police spokesman told Leeds Student (newspaper)that their enquiries into the murder will go no further. The statements taken from students are to be destroyed next week and members of the university union have been invited to witness the event.
http://digital.library.leeds.ac.uk/1005 ... 72_000.pdf

iansmithofotley

Regarding the John Riley alleged murder at Oakwood.

I have sent off for information about the incident, from the West Yorkshire Police, and I will post further details if, and when, I receive it. I understand that it will take some time.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

There's only one J Riley living in LS7 in the 1978 phone book
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (5).png (83.12 KiB) Viewed 2532 times

jma

Post by jma »

No sign of Stainbeck Side now on google earth and I couldn't find any images on leodis. I presume it's been demolished. If it was where I imagine it to be, it might easily be described as Chapel Allerton.

What's needed is a copy of Austick's Tellway. I must have binned mine long ago. There was one advertised recently on ebay but it's gone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373707479870

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Stainbeck Side was in Meanwood opposite the Meanwood Hotel
Stainbeck Side.png
Stainbeck Side.png (309.09 KiB) Viewed 2522 times

iansmithofotley

Hi uncle mick,

It looks as though it is the wrong J Riley. The location is not near the scene of the alleged murder at Oakwood and it is not near to Chapel Allerton where Riley apparently lived - it is more Meanwood or Farm Hill. Also, Stainbeck Side on the map, from my memory was part of Farm Hill council estate. I think that it would be unusual for a successful person and poet to live there, but there again, I might be wrong. Riley was possibly ex-directory or did not have a telephone.

Ian

iansmithofotley

jma wrote:
Wed 08 Dec, 2021 2:17 pm
No sign of Stainbeck Side now on google earth and I couldn't find any images on leodis. I presume it's been demolished. If it was where I imagine it to be, it might easily be described as Chapel Allerton.

What's needed is a copy of Austick's Tellway. I must have binned mine long ago. There was one advertised recently on ebay but it's gone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373707479870
Hi Mick,

I have a Tellway. Stainbeck Side is shown as 4 Stainbeck Road.

Ian

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

1933 photo on Leodis,Stainbeck Road from Meanwood
Road confirms Ian's comments
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

jma

Post by jma »

Looked again and found it

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/76307