Murder of Leeds Poet 1978

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
dogduke

Re: Murder of Leeds Poet 1978

Post by dogduke »

There may be many people still around Oakwood/Chapel A who lived in the areas around the murder year of 1978.
I have had a quick look to try and find local history groups but nothing much so far
1978 is 43 yes ago,still within the memory range of many people.
Any knowledge of how John Riley was killed and if he was robbed ?
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Hi dogduke,
As we found out there is very little information available , online at least.
Robbery or mugging gone wrong. 2 muggers.
Scene is a either outside a pub near his home or in the gardens near the Oakwood clock ( and toilets). Is there a pub near the Oakwood clock?
Ian has confirmed that one person was put on trial and convicted. No further details yet.
That's about it but Ian still has some feelers out.
BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

jma

Post by jma »

blackprince

I'd go easy on the cover-up theory. All the reply from West Yorkshire Police to the freedom of information says is that "Home Office records have been checked." ie What's on the computer. I'm surprised that the computerised stuff from those days includes as much as it does. I've no idea about crime recording nowadays, but in those days a crime report was recorded as "detected" as soon as somebody was charged. Because there are so many variation of result at court, ranging from convicted to "ordered to remain on the file," the only certain ways of discovering anything were elsewhere and all based on knowing the name of what I described as the ganiff. eg the convicted defendant's criminal record or the results endorsed on the prosecution file. I can see that the coroner's files will be recorded under the name of the deceased and I suspect that might be the only official source with a link to the convicted killer if starting a search from the name of the deceased.

On the other hand, if you want a bit more support for the Iron Curtain cloak and dagger stuff, I studied Russian at Bradford University in the 1960s so it's possible that I'm trying to throw you off the trail.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi blackprince I had to laugh at your last sentence if you pardon the pun.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Hi jma,
I have obviously read too many John le Carre novels.
Coincidentally I have been looking up another former West Leeds pupil called Cecil Shipp, who went on to be deputy head of the security service , MI5. He also served in Germany, learnt Russian and taught at the JSSL. He was considered a master interrogator with an unusually retentive memory who investigated the Cambridge spy ring.
Spasibo Tovarisch, ( the limit of my Russian)
BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!