Austin Mitchell, MP, rip

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
blackprince

Austin Mitchell, MP, rip

Post by blackprince »

After his recent death I learned that Austin Mitchell was born in Baildon, which has a Bradford postcode, so he missed out on being a famous son of Leeds by a whisker.
He was a Leeds TV personality in the late 60's and early 70's for his time at ITV Yorkshire presenting the 6pm Calendar news program with Richard Whitely.
During this time I saw him several times at City station. We were both meeting girlfriends off a train at the same time.

For a full obit see
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/ ... rimsby-tv/
I certainly remember him as jovial and outspoken.
BP
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

iansmithofotley

Re: Austin Mitchell, MP, rip

Post by iansmithofotley »

I always liked him too. He was straight talking and funny. I often saw him, and also Richard Whiteley, in the Queen Pub on Burley Road and also in the St Ann's Pub on St Ann's Lane, in the late 1960's/early 1970's. I also remember that they were often accompanied by Marylyn Webb.

tilly

Re: Austin Mitchell, MP, rip

Post by tilly »

Such a sad loss.many people have passed from tv and films in my lifetime and to me never replaced saying that i think they were irreplaceable.Is this an age thing will the young ones of today be saying the same thing when they get to my age.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.