Finding out who owns a plot?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
polos

Finding out who owns a plot?

Post by polos »

Yeah basically like the title says. I know this isn't a history thing but you guys have always been the experts on cemeterys :D
Thing is my mum died pretty young and was buried in 89 in Batley cemetery in her mums grave.
My question is how do I find out who owns the plot? Second question is as her only child would ibjave any right to ask to be buried there myself when I finally meet my maker.
I also have a cousin that wants to Bury her mums ashes there too but no one knows who to ask.
Any info. Very much appreciated

polos

Re: Finding out who owns a plot?

Post by polos »

Just to add there is no one else in the plot just my mum and grandma. Also I was an only child. So I'm thinking that may give me some right to be buried there.
Just wondering who calls the shots on all this

jma

Post by jma »

I think your starting point must be Kirklees Council. Their info on cemeteries is here, but it doesn't tell you who to contact within the council about queries like yours

https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/deaths ... eries.aspx

This looks like a general purpose starting point

https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/contac ... ees.gov.uk

polos

Post by polos »

Thanks for the information at least I have somewhere to start now. Thanks again

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

As I understand things,aDeed is issued when you buy the plot,no Deed,no entitlement.
The buyer can impose restrictions,i.e. for self and spouse only an would only be dug for 2 coffins etc.
Somewhere in your Mother's paperwork(if any)there might be the Deed,she would not be buried with your Gran without it.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.