Open fronted Tram on upper deck.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Re: Open fronted Tram on upper deck.

Post by volvojack »

Me again...
Those pictures above and especially the one on York Road show how wide the distance was from the pavement to the awaiting Tram in the centre of the road. Although there was nothing like the traffic of the day the folks catching the tram who were in a long line out to the middle of the road had to beware of Cyclists, Motor bikes and 'Oss and Carts (which most times dobbin was in charge) so the people had to be nimble on their feet. Most people in the morning were heading for work so when the Conductor stuck out his arm and said "No more that's all there was a frantic push to still try and get aboard. Another place i remember being a part of this sort of thing every working day was on Dewsbury Road below Tommy Wass Pub. and though i lived where the stop near Cross Flatts Park/ opp. Broadway Pub i used to walk up to the Terminus to ensure I got a seat and be on time for work
One advantage boarding two or three stop from the terminus was that the Conductor was downstairs and beginning to take fares. My pal and I would take it in turns each morning as we got up the stairs and shout "Fares Ready please" and nearly all the passengers arms would shoot up together as most of them would be reading newspapers or simply looking straight ahead.....Well it amused us at the time

jma

Post by jma »

My regular childhood tram stop was on Armley Road near Branch Road. One memory of how traffic levels have changed and which I may have posted on an earlier tram thread, was that anybody with a pram, usually a large jobby in those days, wheeled it down the offside of the tram and parked it on the unused platform next to the driver, before walking back to get on the tram in the usual way.

Evidence that that was always at risk from traffic going between the pavement tram stop and the tram was in one of those old articles reprinted from newspaper archives when the Times republished something from 1926 (or thereabouts) which reported an order to the Metropolitan Police saying that all reports of this would be forwarded to New Scotland Yard for the personal decision of the Commissioner.

Here's the stop I'm talking about. In the period after the Second World war there was a police box here

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/61756

PS Is the cupboard under the stairs where you have your computer or the naughty step?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

This link is to a private collection of Leeds tram photos from the early 50's.
http://www.dewi.ca/trains/leeds/
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jma wrote:
Fri 07 May, 2021 4:01 pm
My regular childhood tram stop was on Armley Road near Branch Road. One memory of how traffic levels have changed and which I may have posted on an earlier tram thread, was that anybody with a pram, usually a large jobby in those days, wheeled it down the offside of the tram and parked it on the unused platform next to the driver, before walking back to get on the tram in the usual way.

Evidence that that was always at risk from traffic going between the pavement tram stop and the tram was in one of those old articles reprinted from newspaper archives when the Times republished something from 1926 (or thereabouts) which reported an order to the Metropolitan Police saying that all reports of this would be forwarded to New Scotland Yard for the personal decision of the Commissioner.

Here's the stop I'm talking about. In the period after the Second World war there was a police box here

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/61756
.................................................................................
PS Is the cupboard under the stairs where you have your computer or the naughty step?
It's under the stairs, complete with computer and tin helmet............... jma.

jma

Post by jma »

volvojack

Dr Samuel Johnson is quoted as saying that "Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it." Places like this forum, greatly assisted by the internet increase the spread of the information in the second category, by pooling what we know ourselves but knowing where to look.

Stay safe.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thank you again jma. I am always amazed that any question or query asked on Secret Leeds receives a reply and help so swiftly. This item concerning a certain Leeds Tram is just one good example.

Tramcar no. 309 must have been a good old girl as she is advertising the Hippodrome Theatre which closed in 1933.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Regarding motor cars on the road at the same time as a queue snaked out to get aboard the Tram most vehicles would go around the Tram although the odd one would stop and wait.
As a non smoker being on the upper deck was not very pleasant as it was sometimes like a fog with all the windows steamed up. you could not win because if when you sat on the lower deck it would not be long before some women would be standing nearby staring at you, so then you gave up your seat and had to straphang the rest of the way

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

My Grandad said he hated to see women standing up on the trams........so he always looked out of the window!!

jma

Post by jma »

When I was a child I suffered a lot from travel sickness on buses, coaches or a rare ride in a car. Trains, trams and trolleybuses were all OK so I think a lot of my problem was caused by engine fumes.

On public transport in Leeds, the conductors made sure that no child occupied a seat if there were adults standing. My dad was a heavy smoker so he always went upstairs but the atmosphere was often choking - you could almost carve it out with a knife.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I noticed the picture of Tramcar 309 at the Museum has an ad. on the front for Bottomleys Mint Rock, they were based in Keighley and manufactured all types of sweets. The owner Mr. Bottomley was found dead in suspicious circumstances under the arches at Leeds Railway Station in 1883....
I wonder if anyone here could find any more details. I did find a lovely a lovely drawing of children
climbing up to try and reach the sweets on a ledge.
Maybe someone could put find this and put it on.