'Toddy Bow' tags on a tree in Alwoodley Plantation, north Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

'Toddy Bow' tags on a tree in Alwoodley Plantation, north Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

During a stroll yesterday (April 2 2021) in Alwoodley Plantation in north Leeds I spotted a very oddly-shaped tree that had 2 tags on it. One had 'Toddy' and the other had 'Bow'. The tags were well attached to the tree and seemed to be thin metal about 5 to 6 cm on their longest side. I wonder if anyone knows anything about Toddy Bow? It might be someone's pet name for this interestingly-shaped tree or perhaps a person's name or that of a pet. I tried an Alwoodley residents Facebook website but it seems I had to be a member of that to inquire but I do not want to join Facebook. I don't know what type of tree it is but it does have intriguing bulbous deformations.
I appreciate this is not strictly a Secret Leeds topic which is why I've put it in the General Chat section.
I have attached 3 photos that I took on April 2 2021 that show the tags and more of the tree.
ToddyBowTaggedTreeAlwoodleyPlantationLeedsApril022021(1)..jpg
ToddyBowTaggedTreeAlwoodleyPlantationLeedsApril022021(1)..jpg (236.96 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
ToddyBowTaggedTreeAlwoodleyPlantationLeedsApril022021(2)..jpg
ToddyBowTaggedTreeAlwoodleyPlantationLeedsApril022021(2)..jpg (243.09 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
ToddyBowTaggedTreeAlwoodleyPlantationLeedsApril022021(3)..jpg
ToddyBowTaggedTreeAlwoodleyPlantationLeedsApril022021(3)..jpg (232.97 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Re: 'Toddy Bow' tags on a tree in Alwoodley Plantation, north Leeds.

Post by tilly »

The same type of tree is at the side of the Abbey House Museum Kirkstal i took a photograph of it .I reminded me of the Elephant Man i too would like to know what type of tree this is sorry i cant answer your question.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

The lumps and bumps are called Burls and can grow on practically any tree. The burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress. It may be caused by an injury, virus or fungus. Most burls grow beneath the ground, attached to the roots as a type of malignancy that is generally not discovered until the tree dies or falls over. Such burls sometimes appear as groups of bulbous protrusions connected by a system of rope-like roots. Almost all burl wood is covered by bark, even if it is underground. Insect infestation and certain types of mould infestation are the most common causes of this condition.
You would need to see the leaves from the tree to find what species it is.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for your inputs tilly and buffaloskinner :).

The mention of burls made me think of Burl Ives, particularly in 'The Big Country' film. Ooops, I'm showing my age there! ;)

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I have done a bit of wood turning as a hobby so I can add to what Buffaloskinner has said about burls. "Burl is the american term , on this side of the pond its "burr". Burls yield a very peculiar and highly figured wood, prized for its beauty and rarity. It is sought after by furniture makers, artists, and wood sculptors. There are a number of well-known types of burls (each from a particular species); these are highly valued and sliced into veneers for furniture, inlay in doors, picture frames, household objects, car interior panelling and trim, musical instruments, and woodturning.
The prized "burr maple" is not a species of a maple, but wood from a maple's burl.
So you can make lovely objets d'art from those ugly excrescences on the tree trunk , who'd a thunk it? :)
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

tilly

Post by tilly »

I might be on the wrong track but are they sometimes used to make pipes for smoking it seems to ring a bell.I must add there are not many bells ringing at my age.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

You are not wrong Tilly. Briar wood is good for pipes because it is resistant to heat and Briar burl makes a nice decorative finish.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

tilly wrote:
Tue 06 Apr, 2021 1:33 pm
I might be on the wrong track but are they sometimes used to make pipes for smoking it seems to ring a bell.I must add there are not many bells ringing at my age.

Remember the Falcon pipes me and you used to smoke Sid? I suspect they used Briar wood for the bowls.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks also now for the inputs by blackprince and TABBYCAT. :)

PS. You say tilly "I must add there are not many bells ringing at my age". A bit of quiet should be a good thing as in the words of The Tremeloes late 1960s hit record 'Silence is Golden'. ;)

tilly

Post by tilly »

TABBYCAT wrote:
Tue 06 Apr, 2021 8:04 pm
tilly wrote:
Tue 06 Apr, 2021 1:33 pm

Remember the Falcon pipes me and you used to smoke Sid? I suspect they used Briar wood for the bowls.
I still smoke a pipe after all these years i have four Falcon pipes in me collection.