Play for Today "Leeds United"

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jma

Re: Play for Today "Leeds United"

Post by jma »

That certainly is of interest to me and thanks for posting it. That will be a big topic of conversation for me for a while. I wonder if the people working there know that? They certainly will the next time I'm in Drig

tilly

Post by tilly »

Wow chemimike what a good find i bet not many people in Driglington know that.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Can't remember the name of the Pub in Drig. it was on a corner and i ordered a taxi to take there. I lived in Beeston and as we set off he turned left down Dewsbury Rd. i had thought he would be going up to wards Morley. When we had gone some way down i said "This is not the right way to Driglington" he said i thought the office said Bridlington. I told him to let us out and we went into the New Inn for a drink, then i phoned another taxi firm to take us
(Could the pub be "The Railway")

jma

Post by jma »

This is The Railway at Drig although the railway line went long ago and more recently the land was used for the bypass

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.74896 ... 312!8i6656

When the bypass was being built, the people with houses overlooking it were promised the wouldn't be able to see it and some assumed it would be in a cutting but an embankment was built meaning they couldn't see the bypass but the also couldn't see all the way to Emley Moor any more

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Slightly off topic; Back in the 1980s when I lived at Westgate Hill I used partake in the New Year's Day race around Driglington Moor which was followed by a few pints in the Railway. Does the race still happen?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Would that be Adwalton moor thats were a battle took place in the War of the Roses.I dont know if they still race there.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

The name "Adwalton" rings a bell, but I don't know if it is the same moor. We moved from Westgate Hill to down South in 1987 and I never been back to that area.

jma

Post by jma »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote:
Sun 15 Nov, 2020 5:28 pm
The name "Adwalton" rings a bell, but I don't know if it is the same moor. We moved from Westgate Hill to down South in 1987 and I never been back to that area.
I've not ignored your other post about this about New Year's Day but the short answer is that I don't know, although we are all talking about the same Moor. Although I am familiar with Drig for all sorts of reasons, I live down the road in Gildersome. One of my sons has a friend whose house overlooks the Moor and he may have more info.

In the meantime, the biggest change thereabouts since you moved is the opening of the bypass which runs from just before the junction with Tong Lane to Gildersome roundabout. Also the former Yorkshire Martyrs School has been rebuilt as Tong Leadership Academy. And Dudley Hill Police Station has been demolished.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Wasn't it the Brown Cow on the corner in Drig? The corner being where Whitehall Road crossed the A650 Bradford/Wakefield Road.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Spotted Cow. It was just past the corner and I mean the original A650 not the new Drig bypass.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/