Play for Today "Leeds United"

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tilly

Re: Play for Today "Leeds United"

Post by tilly »

Its me again Tabbycat i was going to say was that building a L I C S i have just looked on leodis and it says it was.They usually have there logo in stone but i could not make it out on the photograph.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Oddly enough there is a dedication stone on the front lower wall or at least there was when I used to use the launderette but cannot remember what it said(may have a look). The co-op is more in Jacks time than mine, I used to wash my stuff there (70's) and I don't really recall it so he is best placed to answer that one.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Don't recall any dedication stone in the Coop walls in the 50s. but at that time i was more interested in a girl living in Lodge Lane and as the Coop had no doorways to canoodle in we just passed it by.
The main entrance at the side was much bigger than today and i think there was another large door where unloading etc. took place.. The triangular shapes on the top i think has the Lics. initials on. It was certainly a grand building standing amidst the through terrace and back to back houses. I don't think it was still open as a food store much after the 80s. The new Coop store was built on the old petrol station site, junction of Beeston Town St. and Old Lane

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Good morning Tabbycat. I would say that Mr, Atha would have been though a few 'osses as one of the Tetley's
Draymen told me that the Shires life span is about 20 years or so.
May i enquire were you a Beeston Lad ??. I have lived in Burlington Place, Allenby Drive then Grovehall Drive
which i sold some years ago for £65,000 and my pal Gary's daughter has just bought it for £235,000.
(i wish i had styed with my Ma . in Barkly Parade where i lived like a King, just me and her.)

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

@Jack.

I was born in Middleton Park Grove moved to Acre Square then down to Hill Street in Beeston (1965). Lived in a few rented houses (Woodviews,Dobsons) So 55 years all told.

The dedication stone I seem to remember being at street level to one side of the launderette doorway.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

volvojack wrote:
Thu 12 Nov, 2020 10:31 am
The new Coop store was built on the old petrol station site, junction of Beeston Town St. and Old Lane
I don't recall a Petrol Station on the corner of Old Lane and Town Street/Beeston Road and if you are suggesting the new Co-op replaced the one on Greenmount Street/Lodge Lane it certainly wasn't a direct replacement in the 80s. I remember the Town Street Coop being there in the mid-late 70s when I was a teenager.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

The Co-op I believe Jack refers to is built on the site of the old Beeston Picture House. The garage he mentions was built on the site of Websters Fold after the houses there were demolished and disappeared I suspect before you were born hence no remembrance of it .

As far as I recall Websters fold was just on the left as you turned into Old lane from the Beeston road side so not quite as far as the Co-op.

The Co-op had premises in various parts of Beeston Malvern Road being one such other place.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hello tyke bhoy,
Apologies if i gave the impression that the new Coop was just built to replace the old one over the park. i think that the premises stood empty for a short time before becoming a Mosque. As for the Petrol Station at the junction of Old Lane / Beeston town St. it was just a part of the demolition plan which included a gents hair dressers a sweet shop with a snooker hall behind it and the Beeston Cinema plus there were a couple more shops that i just can't recall.
Regards Jack Daly

tilly

Post by tilly »

Has we are on the subject of co ops can anyone answer this question.If you go up Whitehall Road about a quarter of a mile from Driglington lights there is a yard on the right i think it is used by fairground people, at the front there is a very old shop.A facia board has come off above the window it has revealed a stone lintel with the words cooperative carved into it you cant see the full logo.What i cant understand is it would have been quite isolated when it was built, there are plenty of houses around there now but not when this was built.Can anybody give me an answer why it was built there.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jma

Post by jma »

I think that Cockersdale was a bit bigger place than it seems today. eg The Valley Inn just along Whitehall Rd from that former Co-op.

I've looked at my book of old OS maps and it's unfortunately on the edge of two pages. I think there was an industrialised bit down New Lane which is opposite the pub