Heather on Adel Moor, Alwoodley, Leeds. Aug 24 2020.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Heather on Adel Moor, Alwoodley, Leeds. Aug 24 2020.

Post by Leodian »

Many plants/trees in Leeds seem to have done very well this year. For example an oak tree on the Alwoodley Village Green has masses of acorns far more than I recall ever seeing in previous years. Blackberries seem abundant. Despite having a problem very early with severe brown patches on their leaves horse chestnut trees have reasonable numbers of conkers. During a stroll on August 24 2020 I went onto Adel Moor (Alwoodley) and the heather was a gorgeous sight so I have attached a photo that I took.
HeatherAdelMoorAlwoodleyLeedsAug242020..jpg
HeatherAdelMoorAlwoodleyLeedsAug242020..jpg (315.06 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jma

Re: Heather on Adel Moor, Alwoodley, Leeds. Aug 24 2020.

Post by jma »

On last night's Harold Bird Show (AKA BBC Look North) paultheweatherman showed a pic of glorious heather near Bolton Abbey and said the recent wet weather was the cause

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jma wrote:
Wed 26 Aug, 2020 2:54 pm
On last night's Harold Bird Show (AKA BBC Look North) paultheweatherman showed a pic of glorious heather near Bolton Abbey and said the recent wet weather was the cause
Thanks jma for that interesting information :).

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The heather here on Adel Moor looked equally gorgeous on August 22 2021. :)

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Leodian would that be part of Black Moor the site of the Roman Camp.?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tilly wrote:
Mon 11 Oct, 2021 8:24 pm
Hi Leodian would that be part of Black Moor the site of the Roman Camp.?
Hi tilly :)

No it's not in the Camp Town area where a Roman camp was (thought to be?) though it's not far from the area called Black Moor on maps. It's an area behind Buckstone Avenue that is kept clear of shrubs and trees by periodical work from the Friends of Adel Woods. It can be reached by a track off Buckstone Avenue but perhaps the easiest way to find it is to go down the path opposite the Tesco Express on King Lane then along Buckstone Road with Nanny Beck on your right. Where the road turns left keep on the track into the wood and you quickly pass the garden of a house. Don't go up immediately left but stay on the track for a very short way then scramble up the short slope on the left and you come out on Adel Moor. When the heather is in flower a walk to it, then to the Buckstone Rock, down to the 7 Arches Aqueduct and then to the Babbling Baby Spring and back to King Lane is quite a good walk.

Adel Moor has a population of small lizards, though I've never seen any. It used to have adders but as far as I know none have been seen for many years now.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thank you for your reply Leodian i dont know that area at all, i have just read about Black Moor i know Adel Church at one time had Roman finds in the church yard.So there must have been a roman camp of some sort in the surrounding area. I dont know if there are any still in the church yard.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tilly wrote:
Tue 12 Oct, 2021 6:59 pm
Thank you for your reply Leodian i dont know that area at all, i have just read about Black Moor i know Adel Church at one time had Roman finds in the church yard.So there must have been a roman camp of some sort in the surrounding area. I dont know if there are any still in the church yard.
Thanks tilly :).
There are what are said or believed to be Roman sites and objects in the Adel and Alwoodley areas though I don't know how many have been verified. Interestingly only around 15 years or so back a badly eroded carving of what is thought might be of the Roman god Cocidius was found on a rock in the Alwoodley Plantation part of Adel Woods.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Leodian Do you know if any work has been done to find out if there is a roman site in the Adel area is Black Moor still vacant land or has it been built on.I once read that the church had roman artifacts on display in the church i know for a fact they had some in the church yard, they were very heavy objects so to my mind would not have traveled very far from the find spot it would be nice to be able to say yes or no to a roman site at Adel has you can see this subject has sparked my interest for many years

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

A few things from Roman times have been discovered around Leeds.

There was a Roman Fort near Adel, Dalton Parlours (a Roman Villa) near Collingham and settlements at Wattle Syke and Rothwell Haigh. Roman objects have been found near Lingwell Gate, The Headrow, Headingley, Burmantofts, and Hunslet, which was also the site of a Roman burial. A Roman altar and a stone sarcophagus were dug up in Chapel Allerton during the early 20th Century.

In 1977 a rescue excavation was carried out at Rothwell Haigh Colliery revealing a Roman period enclosure. The most interesting thing was a well that had been filled in from about CE 270-340, and was then waterlogged. Because it had been waterlogged lots of wooden objects were preserved including a bucket, spade and bowls. Other objects including complete pots and a human skull were also discovered in the well. These may have been placed here as part of a ritual deposition.
Attachments
Roman legionary.jpg
Roman legionary.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?