Where have all the Sparrows gone.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
shutthatdoor

Where have all the Sparrows gone.

Post by shutthatdoor »

In the last 2 days my local bird population has disappeared. Sparrows, Tits, Pigeons. Magpies. I'm in Armley near top Town St. Anyone else noticed this?
'Eeh! That's thrown fat on t' fire'

jma

Re: Where have all the Sparrows gone.

Post by jma »

Not around here. I feed birds with peanuts and sunflower seeds and our garden - at Gildersome - is teeming with birds, especially house sparrows. I've not seen a greenfinch for several years and the goldfinches seem fewer this year but house sparrows are really plentiful. I saw a robin today, for the first time in a while and we have blackbirds, collared doves, pigeons and all the titmice. This year, we've had regular visits from Greater Spotted Woodpeckers. We've had at least one adult female, I suspect two, and a juvenile. I'm always cautios about double counting but our best year for woopeckers was 2008 when we had two adult males, one adult female and four juveniles all in the garden at once. Yesterday evening we had geese honking overhead at roof level, heading in the direction of the balancing reservoir on the Ring Road, where there are loads.

Ours is a titchy back garden: we aren't talking about Harewood House, which reminds me we see loads of raptors in the sky including Red Kites.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hello jma.
Not so many years ago when i was on my way to work about 6am. i used to see lots of sparrows on the grass verges but over the last few years they seem to have declined and luckily we have a large bushy tree in the front garden and since my missus has been hanging out feeders on the tree there has been a lot of "Spuggies" living and feeding there. they prefer the suet balls but the 3 feeders have to be filled nearly every day.we have just one robin plus the very young sparrows. We also have quite a few wood pigeons who mop up the falling bits. sadly we do have Magpies who seem to tour the area in pairs.
We are only a few mile from Slimbridge nature reserve where there is every bird, swans and ducks you could mention. some migrate there from thousands of miles away , like Russia for instance. If you are ever in the West Country it is well worth a visit.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

In our sparrow colony we have a pure white sparrow .This year the young have either white rump feathers or white covert feathers
Canging the subject - we have a black and white blackbird nesting on our hedge.
Attachments
Img_1772a.jpg
Img_1772a.jpg (101.01 KiB) Viewed 518 times
black and white bird.jpg
black and white bird.jpg (529.4 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Img_1441a.jpg
Img_1441a.jpg (298.35 KiB) Viewed 518 times

jma

Post by jma »

warringtonrhino

All good stuff there and I'm sorry to hear there was originally more of it.

I think the other bird in your top pic is a starling. I understand numbers have been falling. We get them occasionally in our garden but in nothing like the numbers.

A bit of good news is that the other evening my 8 year old granddaughter's attention was attracted by a lot of birds over their house in Gildersome.

Today, I've shown her some starling aerial displays - murmurations - on youtube and she has confirmed that that was what she had seen.