Council consultation leeds monuments

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
TABBYCAT

Re: Council consultation leeds monuments

Post by TABBYCAT »

Duncan it's not often I get involved with spats such as this but I do take issue with a couple of statements you made in point 2.

Quote.

"this country has come a very long way since the 1940s (thank god, given the backwards hole the place was)"

May I ask is this based on your own personal experience of living through that period or something you perhaps read somewhere?
This "backwards hole " as you call it and its occupants were busy fighting and dying to free the world from fascism in the same way as Mandela fought against an oppressive African regime yet you seem to regard him as a hero but this countries citizens of that period back then, by implication, as "backward" without offering any proof for your assertion,or perhaps it's just your opinion?

You then state that..

Quote.

"so we could repair the country that we'd just completely destroyed in WW2."

WE DESTROYED? I think you'll find that it was German bombs that was the main contributing factor to that
and if you are referring to being financially destroyed then I would say the fight against tyranny was a price worth paying or do you disagree?

Your points about immigration and everything else etc I totally concur with and would say we are singing from the same hymn sheet in that regard.

I have no wish to sow any discord between ourselves Duncan so I will end with by saying we are asked to acknowledge that when things are written on forums or social media we should be wary of the fact that we cannot always interpret the meaning as we cannot hear the spoken version and that the way a person writes things can vary be it educational or generational as a factor or cannot explain things as they really mean them so this should be taken into consideration.

It is noticeable however that when anyone writes something you deem offensive then you are quick to issue epithets to the person concerned. You say that you are tired(in your opinion) of Micks "racist bullshit" which by unambiguous extrapolation means you think that Mick is a racist bullshitter albeit not explicitly and before you say well what do you think I would reply that what I think is irrelevant as it is your opinions not mine I'm discussing.

Would not a better way of dealing with it would be a private messaged reminder of the rules you expect to be followed then suspension if needed rather than a post full of your own predilections.

George Orwell once said something to the effect of that nobody has as much self loathing of his country as an Englishman and to be frank you seem to embody that sentiment at times.
Whether it's Mick or Jack your opinions of them always seem to include some self flagellating bullet points about what a backwards retarded shithole this country is, what terrible human beings they are, and to be honest you come across as equally offensive when doing this as those you would condemn. Though no doubt you cannot will not concede this.
I hope you will take this as just personal observations and not a personal attack, I have not re-coursed to name calling, used foul language or attacked any majority / minorities and so would regard myself as not contravening the forums rules though if you think differently no doubt banishment will follow, because it is your site after all.

Yes this is your site yes your way or the highway we all get that but I would hope you are adult enough to take my observations (whether you believe they are accurate or not) in the same way others are expected to take yours.
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Sat 07 Nov, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

tilly

Post by tilly »

i have to say TABBYCAT has made some good points if you deem him out of order and ban him, then feel free to do the same to me.It has got to the stage where any comments made about what i will call delicate subjects are anti social.This is not only on this site but every where whether it is about color starving children religion whatever the subject what they say is in stone if anyone disagrees then they are out of order. Well i am in favor of freedom of speech so long has it dose not breech any boundarys, this is going out of the Secret Leeds subjects but it wants sorting out it stood out to me when the joke thread was banned because it was deemed not appropriate i have been a joker all of my life and never and i mean never have i been told i was being offensive i think the minority are dictating to the majority and it does not go down well with me.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Mick this goes a lot further than the secret leeds site i know its nothing to do with secret leeds but it has come up and should be addressed. I for one have been a member for nearly ten years with over two thousand posts and in all that time i have not had any problems until the joke thread, this was started to help keep the site active and when it was banned it did not go down well with me. I would be the first to hold my hand up i was out of order Its getting so if any type of group rears its head and you show disagreement you are shot down in flames im 78 years old and if i see something i dont agree with then i say so and i must say there is a lot going on in this country that i dont agree with. I wiil say again before any one else does its not a secret leeds topic but it came up so that makes it one
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

A fair point well made Tabbycat, I will hold my hands up to most of that, my comments were absolutely intended to provoke a reaction. If you found them offensive I apologise. I'm just tired of this sort of nonsense from the likes of Mick and his kind - mostly I ignore it, this week I didn't. I will attempt to do better in future.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

dsco wrote:
Mon 09 Nov, 2020 2:56 pm
A fair point well made Tabbycat, I will hold my hands up to most of that, my comments were absolutely intended to provoke a reaction. If you found them offensive I apologise. I'm just tired of this sort of nonsense from the likes of Mick and his kind - mostly I ignore it, this week I didn't. I will attempt to do better in future.

Many thanks Duncan for an extremely measured,pleasant and polite response,much appreciated and your feelings respected..

I think we should all now (myself included) leave this here and move on and get back on topic.

A point has been made over Alison Lowe and whether she is right for the statue review as she is black.

I do believe she is of mixed heritage and therefore able to look at both sides of the divide so to speak.
Having followed her career over the years and having read various articles and interviews by her she comes across as a very fair minded individual, one who will discharge her duties in the matter without any agenda, black or otherwise.

I also think that time could be better spent doing something more pertinent re race relations rather than vetting statues but if anyone has to do it then Alison Lowe is a very good choice in my opinion and will be fair in her assessments.