Secret Leeds Website

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
blackprince

Re: Secret Leeds Website

Post by blackprince »

TABBYCAT wrote:
Mon 20 Apr, 2020 9:30 pm
No problems from my end to be honest. A problem with your ISP or firewall settings perhaps? Or maybe just the Mac software causing a problem,I use a combination of PC's some with windows others Linux and don't seem to have these kind of problems so maybe an apple thing?
Hi Tabbycat, Definitely not an Apple thing . I had the same problems as Ian and I use a Windows 10 laptop and an Ipad.
This is the reply I got from Antony Librarian -Manager at Leeds Libraries who acted as an intermediary in communication with the site admin

Duncan has actually got back to me pretty quickly after I replied to his message below, with some really good news:

Hey Antony - I took the nuclear option and reverted the site to the stock/basic forum setup and it now works. No idea why but I'll try and figure that out at some point! Looks a bit of a mess but you can log in - figured functional is better than pretty :)

Hopefully it works for you now!

So definitely a SL site issue . No need to burn your Apple Macs Ian!

Big thanks to Antony for his help in sorting this out.

John
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Hi folks, sorry for the delay getting this issue fixed it's been made all the more difficult because I've not been able to log into the site myself to see what was wrong. Still not 100% sure on the cause but at least we're up and running again. Will fettle it up when I get chance.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

I had the same problem on my PC using Windows, so not an apple problem. I had to reset my password and this took two attempts before it worked.

jim

Post by jim »

Whoopee, we're back! Ta Duncan.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

blackprince wrote:
Tue 21 Apr, 2020 9:57 am
TABBYCAT wrote:
Mon 20 Apr, 2020 9:30 pm
No problems from my end to be honest. A problem with your ISP or firewall settings perhaps? Or maybe just the Mac software causing a problem,I use a combination of PC's some with windows others Linux and don't seem to have these kind of problems so maybe an apple thing?
Hi Tabbycat, Definitely not an Apple thing . I had the same problems as Ian and I use a Windows 10 laptop and an Ipad.
This is the reply I got from Antony Librarian -Manager at Leeds Libraries who acted as an intermediary in communication with the site admin

Duncan has actually got back to me pretty quickly after I replied to his message below, with some really good news:

Hey Antony - I took the nuclear option and reverted the site to the stock/basic forum setup and it now works. No idea why but I'll try and figure that out at some point! Looks a bit of a mess but you can log in - figured functional is better than pretty :)

Hopefully it works for you now!

So definitely a SL site issue . No need to burn your Apple Macs Ian!

Big thanks to Antony for his help in sorting this out.

John
Good to hear it's sorted BP but if it is a site issue then it would be interesting to know why some of us have had no problem with the site, because a site problem by extrapolation should affect us all, no?.

I have had problems on other sites in the past when using Firefox so these days I use Chromium on a Linux PC. Either way no matter as those affected are now up and running. :D

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Thanks for sorting out the site- I am dyslectic so everything looked normal to me :D
Can anyone help me understand the new graphics

Recent topics what do the symbols mean?
Circle with and without red star?
Inside the circle text or flames?

Main Forums
Blue circle (no unread posts)
Red circle ( unread posts) how do I find them?

warringtonrhino

also why do I have to log in- and tick 'remember me' every time I visit the site,
I thought 'remember me' is supposed to eliminate the need to log in on every visit?

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

If memory serves, with this type of forum software the sign in length isn't indefinite for security reasons.
On one site I use three days is the maximum sign in time without user input, but happy to be corrected if Duncan knows different.

warringtonrhino

That would be a bonus - I get to do it every time.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Tue 28 Apr, 2020 11:56 am
also why do I have to log in- and tick 'remember me' every time I visit the site,
I thought 'remember me' is supposed to eliminate the need to log in on every visit?

Two things that may help to cure your login problem, firstly scroll to the bottom of the board index page and click on delete all board cookies and see if that resolves the issue. If that does not work then clear your cache, how you do this will depend on which operating system (OS) you use, but is easy enough to get info for your system.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?