Secret Leeds Website

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
TABBYCAT

Re: Secret Leeds Website

Post by TABBYCAT »

The curious thing is that if it is a fault within the forum software then logic dictates that everyone without exception should be affected which is clearly not the case.
There is also the stay signed in function on some sites which does roughly the same but is time limited for security reasons.

I personally never use saved passwords or saved log in credentials preferring to log in fresh each time to whatever site as it's no great hardship and have no problems so maybe that's the difference, I don't honestly know.

Some interesting reading here..

https://arbitersports.force.com/officia ... ction-work
Last edited by TABBYCAT on Tue 16 Jun, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jma

Post by jma »

It's almost 20 years since I dumped my good old Amstrad 8256, upgraded by me to 8512 with external double 3½ floppy to supplement the built-n 3" floppy drive. (It became hard to find the right grade of coke for its boiler.) The last time I used it in anger was when I had to print out at short notice a 50 page report and even with a Canon BJ10 it took most of the night. On that occasion the hard drive on my Dan Windows NT set up had crashed at a critical moment.

I'm currently using a quite recent Lenova which came with Windows 10 and updates automatically.

I wasn't affected by the problems which caused this thread although I see that one of the forum administrators was, and happily, they were able to sort that out.

Now I have a workround for my own problem I'm OK and there's nothing to stop me logging out at the end of each session , rather than just closing the tab and letting it happen automatically. At least, there's now no risk of me typing a long post and losing it by forgetting to copy it first.

It's litotes to say this is hardly a busy forum. There's a lot to be said for curing anything which might put people off. If difficulties are not reported, the people who matter may never know.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Good to see you found a solution Jma, and yes reporting problems is a good thing which can guide the site administrators to a workaround but unless that problem affects everyone as I previously stated then the only conclusion is that it is a localised user problem or am I wrong to think this? Surely a global forum software problem would affect us all equally which it clearly does not and as yet nobody has given an explanation of why some are affected and not others?

How can the gurus find a solution to something that you say may put people off when it's not affecting everyone equally, therefore not a forum software problem?

For myself I ditched windows years ago for reasons too long and boring to go into and win10 I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole again for reasons ditto, preferring to use a Linux distro.

Just my two pence worth nothing more.

Anyhow you have found your solution and there's too much going on outside to worry about the foibles of a niche local history site so all's good. :D

PS You should have hung on to that Amstrad and bubble jet, collectors items for some vintage enthusiasts.:D

jma II

Post by jma II »

This is as good a place as any to mention that when I tried to log on today, it told me I had to register. That may be something like me hitting the register button instead of log in, or it may be connected with some sort of automatic update to my browser overnight.

Either way, I'm now jma mark II and if it happens again, I may be an ex-member.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Jma,when logging in,to avoid accidentally pushing wrong button enter your user name as normal in the first box press TAB then your password in the second box then instead of using the log in button just press ENTER which does the same thing and avoids pressing the wrong button etc.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

My 'REMEMBER ME' at log in is not working, I have to log in every time that i open the site page??

warringtonrhino

This morning I typed a long text message and added 3 photographs, when I pressed SUBMIT I was informed that I was not logged on.
This is despite me pressing REMEMBER ME on several occasions
I had to log on - and press the REMEMBER ME again.
I then had to start all over again, I could not be bothered with the full script and reduced it to 3 lines to reduce my frustration had it happened again
Can someone please resolve this issue just in case I want to post a comment?

jma

Post by jma »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Mon 27 Jul, 2020 1:01 pm
... Can someone please resolve this issue just in case I want to post a comment?
I'm in the same boat as you and it seems that my problem must be at my end. I'm not wise enough to fix it, but as a precaution to avoid losing a long post which fails, I try to remember to copy the text so I can paste it straight back in to subsequent attempts. Also, make the first attempt to post a short one, then when it's worked, edit that adding the rest of what you want to say.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Just signed in, 12 lines on the sparrow thread, pressed submit and got the log in screen.....all losy
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

warringtonrhino

I am dyslexic, reading is difficult so I only do it when I HAVE to
REMEMBER ME ,in theory , means that I don't have to read my status every time I log on, which ought to be a bonus.
I appreciate that my condition does not affect everyone but if it cannot be fixed , why pretend it's there?