A lot of meter covers in a very small area (a metre of meters!).

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

A lot of meter covers in a very small area (a metre of meters!).

Post by Leodian »

When walking on Harper Street (between York Street and Kirkgate) on May 21 2019 I noticed a lot of meter covers very close together which I had never noticed before despite occasionally walking on Harper Street. It amused me to see so many (11 in all) in a such a very small area. 9 round ones had 'YW meter' on them (presumably Yorkshire Water meter) and 2 square ones each had 2 G's on (I don't know what the G will stand for). I wonder if there are even more meter covers in a very small area in other parts of Leeds? I have added 2 photos I took on May 21 2019 showing the 11 meter covers.
MeterCoversHarperStreetLeedsMay212019(1)..jpg
MeterCoversHarperStreetLeedsMay212019(1)..jpg (142.92 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
MeterCoversHarperStreetLeedsMay212019(2)..jpg
MeterCoversHarperStreetLeedsMay212019(2)..jpg (128.01 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Re: A lot of meter covers in a very small area (a metre of meters!).

Post by warringtonrhino »

w will be a water meter - one for each of the premises in the yard
g will be gas meters for the premises that have gas

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Sun 26 May, 2019 8:46 am
w will be a water meter - one for each of the premises in the yard
g will be gas meters for the premises that have gas
Hi warringtonrhino :).

Thanks for your post. It seems so obvious now that the G may (probably does) stand for gas that I wonder why I did not think of that :oops:.

For interest I've just looked up some information on Harpers Yard and found it is a conversion of an old warehouse into 9 individual 1 bedroom apartments, so that may account for the 9 water meters. As there may only be 2 gas meters perhaps 7 of the apartments are all electric! Or maybe all 9 are electric and the gas meters are for the close by commercial premises.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jma

Post by jma »

I believe that when domestic water meters first began to be introduced, easy access for reading was important, hence meters outside as in the picture. More recently, they have introduced remote reading which can be done by somebody driving by in a van. Apart from accessibility for reading, fitting a meter on the main inside the property must generally be easier unless the pipe is really difficult to access. I delayed getting a water meter because I'd heard a couple of horror stories about undetected leaks between the meter and the house leading to big bills. The way it worked for me when I eventually decided to have one was that a very friendly and helpful chap came round to "survey" the job and his paypacket depended on him fitting one inside. If he couldn't fit one on the main, somebody else would have come to dig up the pavement etc. The water meter really reduced our bill as we are a retired couple whose family has flown the nest.

unslet

Post by unslet »

The boxes marked G are not for meters,they are to allow access to a,below-ground,gas shut off valve.
All commercial and some domestic premises(mainly those with cellars) are required to have a shut off valve so the supply can be isolated before it enters the building.