Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
uncle mick

Re: Chief Superintendent Walter Young

Post by uncle mick »

iansmithofotley wrote:
Mon 20 Dec, 2021 8:42 pm
Hi uncle mick,

I am still researching the death.

I think that Alan died in 2008 but I am not sure, at this stage, if his wife, June (ne Gillespie), is still alive.

I think that Kenneth is still alive and his wife is called Andrea (ne Andrea M Dickinson). They may live in North Yorkshire.

My source for the death was through the Leeds branch of NARPO (National Association of Retired Police Officers). Unfortunately, there are often errors on the site and Raymond's death is shown with two different dates. I am wondering if 'Andrea', named on the site as next of kin, is in fact Kenneth's wife (or maybe they had a daughter called Andrea).

I will continue to research for further information but Pauline Brown may know more about the family and who 'Andrea' is.

Ian
Thanks Ian

PaulineBrown

Post by PaulineBrown »

jma wrote:
Mon 20 Dec, 2021 5:52 pm
Sad news, indeed.
Thank you, so sad, he will be greatly missed. I joined the police force in 1972 and he helped me so much, someone to respect and learn from.

PaulineBrown

Post by PaulineBrown »

Hi yes both sons, my cousins Alan and Billy have sadly passed away which is why we have had difficulty making contact with the family. Kenneth "Billy" was named after my father James Kenneth Ward, Raymonds brother. Uncle Ray was so proud that I had followed in his footsteps into the police and now my son, his great nephew serves in Gloucestershire Police force.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

PaulineBrown wrote:
Wed 22 Dec, 2021 12:12 am
Hi yes both sons, my cousins Alan and Billy have sadly passed away which is why we have had difficulty making contact with the family. Kenneth "Billy" was named after my father James Kenneth Ward, Raymonds brother. Uncle Ray was so proud that I had followed in his footsteps into the police and now my son, his great nephew serves in Gloucestershire Police force.
So sad to hear as I was great mates with "Billy" at Cockburn, when did he pass away ??
On a lighter note a little tale, Billy & myself had tickets for the FA cup 6th round Crystal Palace v Leeds on Sat 6th March 1965,it was postponed & rescheduled for the Wednesday of course our parents said we couldn't go as it was a school day.

On the Tuesday we set off hitch hiking down the A1 got to London & finished up sleeping in the basement of a block of flats courtesy of some kids we met down there. We had telephoned home & my mum who was in touch with the Leeds United chairman Harry Reynolds told us to meet him at the players entrance where he provided us with tickets for the game & money for the train fare home

Finbin11

Post by Finbin11 »

Hello,
I have read your post with great interest. I am Walter Youngs daughter and would love to talk to you .
Catherine MAWSON (nee Young)

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Welcome to Secret Leeds Catherine.

It is unclear who you wish to talk to but as you may have noticed Iansmithotley. JMA and Uncle Mick are recent contributors to the thread albeit off the original topic they also contributed to. The original poster, the station cat, however has not signed into the site in almost 3 years. So in managing expectations if it is he/she you wish to contact then that should be taken into consideration. Of course as you have probably discovered sign in isn't required to read so it could be he/she may be "lurking"
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Finbin11

Post by Finbin11 »

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply . I meant the person who posted the original piece . I just hit reply on their post

supernoodle84

Post by supernoodle84 »

iansmithofotley wrote:
Mon 20 Dec, 2021 8:42 pm
Hi uncle mick,

I am still researching the death.

I think that Alan died in 2008 but I am not sure, at this stage, if his wife, June (ne Gillespie), is still alive.

I think that Kenneth is still alive and his wife is called Andrea (ne Andrea M Dickinson). They may live in North Yorkshire.

My source for the death was through the Leeds branch of NARPO (National Association of Retired Police Officers). Unfortunately, there are often errors on the site and Raymond's death is shown with two different dates. I am wondering if 'Andrea', named on the site as next of kin, is in fact Kenneth's wife (or maybe they had a daughter called Andrea).

I will continue to research for further information but Pauline Brown may know more about the family and who 'Andrea' is.

Ian
Hello there.

Just wanted to add to this for clarity.
Raymond was my grandfather on my dad's side (Alan) both my parents and my uncle Bill passed away several years ago which is why my sister Andrea is listed as the next of kin.

Grandad passed away on the 3rd October last year at his home in Pudsey and was surrounded by his family. Having read some of the stories about him on this thread it feels like I only ever scratched the surface of who he was and his life achievements. He was penning his memoirs in the months before he passed but we've not had much luck with finding them on his pc.

If anyone has anymore stories of my grandad from the years gone I'd love to hear them :-)

Jonathan.

Jmaw196

Post by Jmaw196 »

The Station Cat wrote:
Tue 26 Feb, 2019 7:36 pm
Ladies/Gents,

This is my first post on the forum.

I'm after a little help with a research project, if anyone can help me out?

I believe Detective Chief Supt Walter Young was the Regional crime squad Co-ordinator for Wakefield, (West Yorkshire Police) and that he served from about 1946 to 1976, or thereabouts.
I also believe that he was involved in the manhunt for the killer Neil Adamson in February 1970 and that he had Adamson corner at one point but that Adamson escaped after shooting at Supt Young with a saw-off shotgun!! Can anyone tell me any more about this incident?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for somewhere, that I can perhaps find out more about Supt Young?
I'm curious to know what other cases he was involved in during his career.
Do any photographs of him exist?
Hello. Walter Ruscoe Young was my grandfather. Please get in touch. These medals were stolen from my nans estate by my late cousin after she passed away . I would love to reunite my mother with these medals and I’m happy to provide any information you want to know about my grandad. He unfortunately passed away in June 2000

Thank you

Shelala

Post by Shelala »

For ‘Mick’
Enquiry re Inspector Ward. He died last year.

Also Les Barnard passed on. His retirement was spent in Pickering. A dapper man to the end complete with trilby.