Chief Superintendent Walter Young

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Rward

Re: Chief Superintendent Walter Young

Post by Rward »

Raymond Ward

I am extremely proud to say that my great grandfather, Raymond Ward is still going strong at the grand old age of 94. He still lives in Farsley.

Our childhoods were filled with funny stories from his time in the police. Any more stories involving my grandad would be greatly appreciated!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Rward wrote:
Tue 21 Sep, 2021 9:55 am
Raymond Ward

I am extremely proud to say that my great grandfather, Raymond Ward is still going strong at the grand old age of 94. He still lives in Farsley.

Our childhoods were filled with funny stories from his time in the police. Any more stories involving my grandad would be greatly appreciated!
Great to hear that Raymond is still going strong. I went to Cockburn with his son Kenneth (Billy) Ward & visited the house in Farsley many times. Raymond used to get us free tickets for Elland Road as he was in charge of the police at the games

tilly

Post by tilly »

What a fantastic response from our S/L members well done.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jma

Post by jma »

I'm not one for going to police reunions and it's excellent news that Mr Ward is still with us. Apart from anything else, if I'm right that he retired in March 1974, then he's been drawing his pension for some 47 years and good on him for that. Unlike some older-end bobbies, he was extremely fit. As I've mentioned above, he played hockey for Leeds City Police and I believe he had represented Yorkshire in the sport.

I've tried to remember any more memories. I remember in perhaps 1969 he was in charge of the preparations for the force annual inspection at Dewsbury Road. In those days, the HMIs were retired chief constables and each force was visited once a year for a few days on a pointless exercise in bullsh|t ie everything had to be bulled up. The theme of the inspection that year was the newly-important "crime intelligence" element of unit beat policing. In those days of slum clearance, we had informal travellers' sites all over south Leeds and two PCs were dedicated full-time to dealing with it. "We" (of the Riding) and "Buffer." I believe the latter had been in a Guards regiment at some time, but no matter what his military past, he was scruffy just for the sake of it. Ch Insp Ward decided that Buffer was just the man to be paraded before the HMI, who I remember was called A.U.R Scroggie. (Amazing what useless information is retained when important stuff is forgotten) I was also included, perhaps because I was still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. The HMI and a gang of senior officers were on one side of the tiny parade room/ report room / collators' office and we were sitting in a row along the opposite wall. Buffer had been issued with a new uniform which still looked smart and Mr Ward had lent him a pair of his own boots, bulled up so you could see your face in the reflection and no exaggeration. It's hard to explain but the HMI addressed Mr Ward as "Chief Inspector" in a way that diminished him - bearing in mind that most days he was one of the most senior bosses in the building. He came out with something like "Chief Inspector, when did you last submit any crime intelligence?" Unimpressed by the reply, he eventually turned his attention to star turn Buffer who explained that he didn't bother with any of that because he had his own system which he never got a chance to explain because the HMI wanted to know about the collators' system. So, lead balloon.

Anyway, Raymond Ward was a policeman in the days when policemen looked like policemen.

Not Leeds, but here's Mr Scroggie on his rounds

https://photos.globalimageworks.com/gat ... 71467.html

PaulineBrown

Post by PaulineBrown »

Re- Raymond Ward retired police inspector , I am trying to contact him or family, he is my uncle. I have his address and phone number but have been unable to make contact with him. I believe his great grandson has been messaging on here. Any help would be appreciated.

PaulineBrown

Post by PaulineBrown »

uncle mick wrote:
Tue 21 Sep, 2021 10:29 am
Rward wrote:
Tue 21 Sep, 2021 9:55 am
Raymond Ward

Great to hear that Raymond is still going strong. I went to Cockburn with his son Kenneth (Billy) Ward & visited the house in Farsley many times. Raymond used to get us free tickets for Elland Road as he was in charge of the police at the games
Hi, Raymond is my uncle and I have been trying hard to contact him on his home telephone. I'm hoping to get in touch for Christmas so any help you can give me would be brilliant .Thank you

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Pauline,

It's sad news, I'm afraid. Raymond Pullan Ward died on 3rd October 2021, aged 94 years. I understand that his next of kin was named as his grand daughter, called Andrea.

Ian

jma

Post by jma »

Sad news, indeed.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

iansmithofotley wrote:
Mon 20 Dec, 2021 4:45 pm
Hi Pauline,

It's sad news, I'm afraid. Raymond Pullan Ward died on 3rd October 2021, aged 94 years. I understand that his next of kin was named as his grand daughter, called Andrea.

Ian
Hi Ian, if his grand daughter was named next of kin his two sons must have passed away ??
Screenshot (17).png
Screenshot (17).png (11.53 KiB) Viewed 51017 times

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi uncle mick,

I am still researching the death.

I think that Alan died in 2008 but I am not sure, at this stage, if his wife, June (ne Gillespie), is still alive.

I think that Kenneth is still alive and his wife is called Andrea (ne Andrea M Dickinson). They may live in North Yorkshire.

My source for the death was through the Leeds branch of NARPO (National Association of Retired Police Officers). Unfortunately, there are often errors on the site and Raymond's death is shown with two different dates. I am wondering if 'Andrea', named on the site as next of kin, is in fact Kenneth's wife (or maybe they had a daughter called Andrea).

I will continue to research for further information but Pauline Brown may know more about the family and who 'Andrea' is.

Ian