Joke of the Week

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tilly

Re: Joke of the Week

Postby tilly » Thu 28 Nov, 2019 8:58 pm

If any of my jokes have been malicious or doubtful can someone point them out to me i for one cant think of any.I would be more than sad if this thread was taken off i can only speak for myself but i dont recall any jokes on this thread in that vein.Unless my 77 year old brain is out of sink with modern thinking, can you let me know if you have had any complaints from other members about this thread i would be very interested to know.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.
unslet

Postby unslet » Thu 28 Nov, 2019 10:27 pm

What a humourless nation we have become.
Suppose Mr Blumberg became the equally parsimonious Joe Longbottom of Bingley and visited his priest in church,would that suddenly become acceptable?
I,as a Yorkshireman,wouldn't give a stuff and would laugh heartily at one of the oldest jokes in the book.
It's about time we grew up and ceased being collectively wracked with guilt on behalf of others who are perfectly about to stand up for themselves.
Sorry for going on,it totally p**ses me off.
mhoulden

Postby mhoulden » Thu 28 Nov, 2019 11:24 pm

I've been modding with a relatively light touch but we have had quite a few complaints about the jokes in this thread. This is a local history site with a good reputation and a lot of visitors, sometimes hundreds a day. They include local reporters and library staff. This isn't political correctness gone mad, being a snowflake or whatever else. It's about making sure the site stays on topic.
hicklingmick

Postby hicklingmick » Fri 29 Nov, 2019 7:57 am

"It's about making sure the site stays on topic."

this topic is Joke of the week if Im not mistaken.

dsco
Site Admin

Postby dsco » Fri 29 Nov, 2019 12:04 pm

As Marcus said, this is a local history site. It's not a Roy Chubby Brown gig.

I'm not complaining about every joke on here or banning all humour (some folk are very sensitive aren't they - how ironic!) just the crap lazy jokes based on racist stereotypes of minorities. Think of something else to laugh about, doesn't seem much to ask.
Contact me via [email protected] if you have any questions or comments about the site.
dsco
Site Admin

Postby dsco » Fri 29 Nov, 2019 12:18 pm

"Suppose Mr Blumberg became the equally parsimonious Joe Longbottom of Bingley and visited his priest in church,would that suddenly become acceptable?
I,as a Yorkshireman,wouldn't give a stuff and would laugh heartily at one of the oldest jokes in the book."

Interesting example that. Yes it would be different, because those two groups of people are totally different, as is their history. Jews have been (and continue to be) persecuted and murdered because of their links to usury and their supposed relationship with money. Whereas I'm fairly sure that's never happened to a group of Yorkshiremen for the same reasons. This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum, there's a reason you find it funny to laugh about Jews and money - deep cultural prejudices stretching back many centuries.

Here's a local example to keep things on topic, the mass murder of 150 Jews in York after discontent over a rise in taxes:
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/vis ... -the-jews/
Contact me via [email protected] if you have any questions or comments about the site.
warringtonrhino

Postby warringtonrhino » Fri 29 Nov, 2019 12:32 pm

I did a series of these, they are based on the history of architecture.
This one is only amusing if you know what Christopher Wren did, and what the current Prince of Wales said about a new building in London. I assume it can qualify for the Joke of the week thread? There are more but it is essential to have a knowledge of the history of architecture to get the joke.
Attachments
Sir Christopher Wren.jpg
Sir Christopher Wren.jpg (724.31 KiB) Viewed 119 times
TABBYCAT

Postby TABBYCAT » Fri 29 Nov, 2019 3:42 pm

warringtonrhino wrote:
Fri 29 Nov, 2019 12:32 pm
I did a series of these, they are based on the history of architecture.
This one is only amusing if you know what Christopher Wren did, and what the current Prince of Wales said about a new building in London. I assume it can qualify for the Joke of the week thread? There are more but it is essential to have a knowledge of the history of architecture to get the joke.
I do love your dry humour WR as well as the superb draughtsmanship. :D

warringtonrhino

Postby warringtonrhino » Fri 29 Nov, 2019 3:54 pm

Some architects think that their design is more important than what the client requires.
Attachments
Ata11a.jpg
Ata11a.jpg (642.8 KiB) Viewed 94 times
Dalehelms

Postby Dalehelms » Fri 29 Nov, 2019 4:02 pm

Thank you WR. I look forward to seeing the whole set in due course.