Scammers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Re: Scammers

Post by volvojack »

Not exactly a Scam but simply overcharging. instance some people swear by Amazon and their quick delivery but as we have like everyone else confined to home we have been buying jigsaws and books on line from "The Works" the 500 piece cost £5. each and the 1000 is £7. we stick to 500 pieces We spend £30. and with that you get free delivery and if yo look closely there is sometimes a further 20% off. so we have been buying 4 x500 and my wife makes up the difference with books. We have been doing this for some time and recently took 12 jigsaws (done once) down to a hostel for men with mental problems. one of the carers there told us that some of these poor buggers have been there most of their lives as the parents abandoned them at an early age. Getting Back to Amazon my Daughter bought us a jigsaw from them "Trooping The Colour" £13. It is a beauty but the only thing is we had the identical thing from "The Works" for £5.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

volvojack wrote:
Sat 06 Feb, 2021 5:39 pm
Getting Back to Amazon my Daughter bought us a jigsaw from them "Trooping The Colour" £13. It is a beauty but the only thing is we had the identical thing from "The Works" for £5.
That variation of price and profit level is common. That simple NoNo gadget hair removal gadget they advertised so incessantly a few years ago, but not so much now they used to charge in excess of £300 for. Direct from the factory in China, they could be had for £40. The gadget the cricketer and now the Irish ex-chat show host advertises, as a leg/circulation massager, at again over £300 can be had from the factory China for a fraction of the cost. I have a similar shocking gadget, it cost me £20. You pay a lot for the advertising and the company overheads.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I go on a site called Wish Shopping in China i have bought lots of goods from them with no problems if you are prepared to wait a while for your parcel you can get bargains.I have bought Oral B tooth brush heads, fishing floats, torches, razors and many other thing at a fraction of the retail price.There is a lot of cheap rubbish on there but if you think about what you are buying then you will save a lot of money I have only had one problem and that was with a barbecue cover it was a long time coming i got in touch with Wish and my money was refunded with no problem.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Wish - I thought I read that was a US company, acting as middleman to a Chinese operation. That you placed a bid and hoped to win, something about loosing the amount you bid....

Is that not the case? I've been a fairly regular buyer direct from China, via the Chinese intermediary companies like alibaba and alieexpress, but not since we left the EU. Since we left the EU I understand we will be paying VAT on imports at source, added to the purchase cost.