Finest Pork Pies in Leeds. (As Was)

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Finest Pork Pies in Leeds. (As Was)

Post by volvojack »

Long before Wilson's of Crossgates became the best Pork Pie Manufacturer in Leeds there was a Company called Newton' , they were on a parade of shops just beyond the Viaduct on Kirkstall road and their pies were legendary. At Christmas they made "Stand Pies" which varied in size and weight , approx 1 to 3/4 lbs. You had to order the pies in advance for Xmas and there was no one in Leeds to compare with them.
From memory some people caught a type of bug after eating one of their pies and the business went overnight.

I wonder if anyone else remembers them ? If you ate "Growlers" up to about the 70s i am sure you will.

TABBYCAT

Re: Finest Pork Pies in Leeds. (As Was)

Post by TABBYCAT »

Sorry Jack have to disagree. Wilsons for my money were overrated, a heavily glazed pastry lump with nowt going on inside. They looked pretty with all that glaze though and I find a lot of people would sing their praises because they were marginally better than supermarket fare or it was the only name they could think of when asked who's pies they liked. :D

Newtons, legendary? Only for poisoning their clientèle apparently. :lol:

Now Bradbury pork butchers on the other hand!

jim

Post by jim »

Stephenson's on Lower Wortley Road for me, every time. Still going last time I passed.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

I think we've had this covered previously. Nevertheless, with my money I'd head for Weegman's in Otley. Although I used to work at Woodhead's on Kirkstall Road about 1965 and as the "lad" I was sent to collect pies from Newtons once in a while. As Jack says, they were pretty special but a close second only to Weegman's I've got to say.
But it's like Fisn 'n' Chips: everybody's favourite is different. Where I live now I can't get either!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Have eaten many of Bradbury's and also in recent years Stephensons growlers when the Hanover was open i must agree that both were excellent.
Also one that some folks may not remember was Bradley's Pork Butcher's on Duncan Street, corner of the entrance to the Whip Pub yard. their pork pies were delicious.
Last edited by volvojack on Mon 14 Nov, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgl1954

Post by jgl1954 »

Yes, Newton's did a cracking pork pie.My parents ordered a big one every Christmas and I would be sent on Christmas Eve to join the queue in the Horsforth shop to collect it. They had a thin crisp pasty if I recall. Such a shame they gave people salmonella or something and went bust.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

jim wrote:Stephenson's on Lower Wortley Road for me, every time. Still going last time I passed.
My local butcher also called Stephensons on Harehills Line buys them in.
Wilsons ? I said on a similar thread well overrated,pastry undercooked.
The dogs however like their dog food.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

There used to be a Newtons on Haigh Wood Road in cookridge... my only claim to fame is that I once ate a scotch egg from there....
Come on Leeds United!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

jdbythesea wrote:I think we've had this covered previously.
Yep, at least a couple of threads
http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1821
http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2946
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Groundhog day
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?