Where, what, why and when?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
MiggyBill

Re: Where, what, why and when?

Post by MiggyBill »

Hello again Brunel, just been looking up when Horsfield 180 was delivered to Crich, can only find that it was sometime in 1960 so this pic is 1960. Also in this pic the tram would have been numbered 189 before reverting back to its original fleet number 180 on arrival at Crich.
Furthermore, the car behind which seems to be a Citroen DS was in production from 1955 so that fits in.
The houses / flats seen in the background, (must have been nearly new) appear to be a lot closer than they really are, this is the effect of the lens used in the camera, we have had this before on SL with other pics seeming to confuse us.

So we have gat he where? got the what? got the why? and very nearly the when.

Nice one.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

May 1960 ??

http://tinyurl.com/h8jhhn8

You can read this article at Leeds Central Library if needed

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Someone might need to visit the Library and read the article. While the article is undoubtedly May 60 the photo doesn't fit with May unless both trees in the foreground are pretty much dead. It could be the photo but there appears to be a mist and at best the leaves on the trees are just starting to sprout. I'd say early-mid April or earlier.

I think the houses to the left are right at the bottom of Queenswood Drive but I am still mystified about those to the left. It would appear they are in the vicinity of Jacques Close but form the Queenswood Drive side they don't look tall enough and I don't think are old enough. My only other explanation would be they are the maisonettes which either originally had roofs or appear to do in the photo because of houses behind.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

After studying the photo a bit deeper and comparing camera angles using different maps combined with the present google streetview etc it appears that the buildings on the left rear view are the back of flats? in Jaques Close on Queenswood Drive. Don't know if it is the present building as don't know when these were built, but it is a good guess looking at them to say they look refurbished and could be older than they appear. The buildings on the right are the backs of semi detached houses fronting on to Queenswood Drive a bit lower down, these were almost certainly built pre 1960 but perhaps not by much.
I agree about the tree, It looks like it's still there, covered in ivy so would not be dead on the pic, which looking at it, no foliage, wild grass looking a bit limp, I'd hazard a guess at late March at the latest, perhaps the papers were reporting it after the event?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Blimey chaps, as a resident of the multi storey flats on the east side of Queenswood Drive, and a frequent user of the station, this picture has got me really confused - mind you, on my monitor it is a pretty faint image so there is much that can't be made out.

Anyway, first of all I think that the little building with two white notice boards, near the tree, is no longer there. Then, about Jacques Court flats which were demolished several years ago, I'm pretty sure they will be hidden behind the tree and the station buildings from this angle. The "two" faint buildings are almost certainly the maisonettes on the east side of Queenswood Drive near the multii storey flats even though they look nearer the station but aren't - I say"two" because they are actually in blocks of eight maisonettes connected (each block of four) by a narrower staircase "bridge" which wouldn't be visible from this angle. The other side of the station, either side of a grotty crooked footpath to Queenswood Drive, are the Headingley Station allotments.
As a lifelong Crich and Leeds tram enthusiast I had no idea that Horsfield 180 (189) had ever "served" Headingley Station - with or without low loader assistance. The multi story flats were built, as far as I know, in 1964 but the other property perhaps earlier if the tram was at Crich by 1960.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Hello Blakey, always nice to read your posts.
I have just read that 180 arrived at Crich in February 1960 so this pic, if it is 180 (189) it must be then. Apparently it wasn't reported in the news till May. I don't remember the old Jaques close flats but I have studied maps and allowed for the lens bringing the background forward,the angle would suggest this must be them as there have not been any other buildings in that location.
I have looked at a couple of pics of 180 at Crich in unrestored condition taken in June 1960 and it has the same adverts on. Take care, BillyBritvic. Or MiggyBill now I have had to rejoin.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

tyke bhoy wrote:Someone might need to visit the Library and read the article. While the article is undoubtedly May 60 the photo doesn't fit with May unless both trees in the foreground are pretty much dead. It could be the photo but there appears to be a mist and at best the leaves on the trees are just starting to sprout. I'd say early-mid April or earlier.

I think the houses to the left are right at the bottom of Queenswood Drive but I am still mystified about those to the left. It would appear they are in the vicinity of Jacques Close but form the Queenswood Drive side they don't look tall enough and I don't think are old enough. My only other explanation would be they are the maisonettes which either originally had roofs or appear to do in the photo because of houses behind.
Just read that 180 was delivered to Crich February 1960, so article in archives must have reported it later.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

The gas lamp by the gate post endorses the 1960s.
Worked at a few stations that were gas lit and had coal fires.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

I have put a larger and "improved" version of the original photo here: http://tinyurl.com/jq2krjs

And also sent Blakey his own copy to peruse at leisure....!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Brunel wrote:I have put a larger and "improved" version of the original photo here: http://tinyurl.com/jq2krjs

And also sent Blakey his own copy to peruse at leisure....!
Many thanks Brunel and a big welcome back to Billy Britvic with or without the famous "signature beverage."
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.