The Green Final

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

You don't get the same Saturday night feel these days. I love the Colin Crompton wheel tappers & social shunters way of life we had years ago! There's no characters anymore!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

farbank

Post by farbank »

It's a seafood LADY that calls , not once , but TWICE, on Saturday nights. At the Bramley WMC, on Elder Rd. If it's nostalgia you're after, Bramley's the place. {Except the price of beer, that's very modern}.But back to the "green-'un".!Many years ago at Moortown Fire Station, one Sat. at just after 6.15pm. The watchroom full of bods , scanning the 'freebie' that the paper seller used to drop in. The switchboard buzzed. It was the Chief (Dick French), who lived next door to the station. He used to ring at that time every Saturday, to check his pools.( Too tight to buy a 'green-'un' of his own). He would always start by pretending he was interested how the 'Utd.' had got on.Then it began." How's Exeter done.?, how's Darlington gone on.? etc. It became blatantly obvious what was happening.But that night, big Ken L., got the paper. And as the duty watchroom man that night, relayed the Chiefs requests, big Ken gave his answers. " Oh! that was 1-1": or " just 0-0", and so on. This was in the days when ALL draws scored 3pts. Well you could hear the squeals and cheering all the way across the yard. Mrs. French wondering how to spend her share of the £75,000 jackpot.When we, standing around , mouths drooling, saw big Ken start grinning, we realised what he had done. The poor lad on watch,had to break it best way he could to the Chief. But he never forgot.!!

stevief

Post by stevief »

farbank wrote: It's a seafood LADY that calls , not once , but TWICE, on Saturday nights. At the Bramley WMC, on Elder Rd. If it's nostalgia you're after, Bramley's the place. {Except the price of beer, that's very modern}.But back to the "green-'un".!Many years ago at Moortown Fire Station, one Sat. at just after 6.15pm. The watchroom full of bods , scanning the 'freebie' that the paper seller used to drop in. The switchboard buzzed. It was the Chief (Dick French), who lived next door to the station. He used to ring at that time every Saturday, to check his pools.( Too tight to buy a 'green-'un' of his own). He would always start by pretending he was interested how the 'Utd.' had got on.Then it began." How's Exeter done.?, how's Darlington gone on.? etc. It became blatantly obvious what was happening.But that night, big Ken L., got the paper. And as the duty watchroom man that night, relayed the Chiefs requests, big Ken gave his answers. " Oh! that was 1-1": or " just 0-0", and so on. This was in the days when ALL draws scored 3pts. Well you could hear the squeals and cheering all the way across the yard. Mrs. French wondering how to spend her share of the £75,000 jackpot.When we, standing around , mouths drooling, saw big Ken start grinning, we realised what he had done. The poor lad on watch,had to break it best way he could to the Chief. But he never forgot.!! Lovely anecdote farbank.Could never happen today,you can't miss a thing with our information overload.Does anyone know when the green 'un was wound up? I'd guess late '80s.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Phil, you were there when fish bloke turned up.
Attachments
__TFMF_zkigfx55pz014uemwujxxmv1_48583634-6939-4a64-898a-178f4bacff44_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zkigfx55pz014uemwujxxmv1_48583634-6939-4a64-898a-178f4bacff44_0_main.jpg (625 KiB) Viewed 2403 times

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Oh yeah.. Thats the first time i'd seen him in there ever! A few too many beers i'd forgot all about him!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Tony

Post by Tony »

And the wonderful content of his basket
Attachments
__TFMF_zkigfx55pz014uemwujxxmv1_6a6988ac-11b4-419c-ba31-a29654cc4b93_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zkigfx55pz014uemwujxxmv1_6a6988ac-11b4-419c-ba31-a29654cc4b93_0_main.jpg (593.02 KiB) Viewed 2403 times

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

WOW i can almost smell that basket lol.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

drapesy wrote: I seem to remember that the business(or one of them) selling fish/prawns/cockles etc from a basket in pubs was called "Kershaw's". Kershaw's guy used to come into the Regent at Chapel Allerton back in the late 70's - early 80's, it was an oldish bloke who would walk through the pub shouting " Sea foods", some wag would always shout back " I can't, your holding them too high " ! We used to buy the Green Final in town on the way home from Elland Road after every home game for years, I seem to remember (though my mind could be playing tricks) that the Green final became the Pink final (Stop sniggering at the back) during the last years of its publication.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

The local newspapers of most towns and cities had special late editions (on pink , green or even yellow/gold paper)that carried football scores and reports but I think all bar one or two have disappeared over the last 30 years or so. I remember it being on the national media when the Liverpool Echo's version (Pink 'Un) closed a couple of years ago.I honestly think you're mistaken though Stevief - I believe the Yorkshire Post's version was always green. I'll try to find out when it closed.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Your probably more than right there Drapsey. I remember the Blackpool one been pink but not Leeds, So many pages with nothing worth reading, The seaside papers seemed to have far better names than ours tho! Gazette, standard e.t.c!