The Green Final

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
PJ

Post by PJ »

Leeds Evening Post was green - Bradford Telegraph and Argus was pink. Used to get both from an old guy outside Tommy Wass's on Dewsbury Road every Saturday evening.

simonm

Post by simonm »

I allus remember on a Sat evening the chap that sold the paper walking down our street shouting Grrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeen FinnnnnaaaaaaaallllllllllI was only very young and, according to mi dad, used to burst out crying everytime I heard it.. One Sat, my dad took me out to meet the guy that shouted it and after that I looked forrad to him coming!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

stevief

Post by stevief »

Straying slightly from the thread and admitting I haven't been to Elland Rd. for decades,do they still have the A to Z letters round the side of the pitch for half-time scores???

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

stevief wrote: Straying slightly from the thread and admitting I haven't been to Elland Rd. for decades,do they still have the A to Z letters round the side of the pitch for half-time scores??? No - they disappeared from grounds many years ago.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

drapesy wrote: The local newspapers of most towns and cities had special late editions (on pink , green or even yellow/gold paper)that carried football scores and reports but I think all bar one or two have disappeared over the last 30 years or so. I remember it being on the national media when the Liverpool Echo's version (Pink 'Un) closed a couple of years ago.I honestly think you're mistaken though Stevief - I believe the Yorkshire Post's version was always green. I'll try to find out when it closed. Wasn't the Yorkshire Evening News sports edition pink ?
roundhegian

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

roundhegian wrote: drapesy wrote: The local newspapers of most towns and cities had special late editions (on pink , green or even yellow/gold paper)that carried football scores and reports but I think all bar one or two have disappeared over the last 30 years or so. I remember it being on the national media when the Liverpool Echo's version (Pink 'Un) closed a couple of years ago.I honestly think you're mistaken though Stevief - I believe the Yorkshire Post's version was always green. I'll try to find out when it closed. Wasn't the Yorkshire Evening News sports edition pink ? GREEN!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Priestly House

Post by Priestly House »

Definately Green - tho there was a "sporting Pink" around at the time, if anyone can shed light?

PJ

Post by PJ »

Priestly House wrote: Definately Green - tho there was a "sporting Pink" around at the time, if anyone can shed light? See my posting on page one Bradford Telegraph and Argus was pink on Saturday night for the sports results.

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

wiggy wrote: roundhegian wrote: drapesy wrote: The local newspapers of most towns and cities had special late editions (on pink , green or even yellow/gold paper)that carried football scores and reports but I think all bar one or two have disappeared over the last 30 years or so. I remember it being on the national media when the Liverpool Echo's version (Pink 'Un) closed a couple of years ago.I honestly think you're mistaken though Stevief - I believe the Yorkshire Post's version was always green. I'll try to find out when it closed. Wasn't the Yorkshire Evening News sports edition pink ? GREEN! At the risk of starting a long dispute wasn't the Saturday sports edition of the Yorkshire Evening Post green and that of the rival Yorkshire Evening News ( which closed in the 1950s ) pink ?I can remember buying both !
roundhegian

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I worked as a sub-editor on the Telegraph and Argus's pink Saturday night sports paper in the mid 70s. We were able to publish the league tables by 5pm on Saturday because we had three lines of metal type ready for each league team depending if they won, lost or drew. It was certainly not easy "subbing" a match as it went along, and writing a headline 20 minutes before a match finished often caused problems. They were still talking in the 70s in the office about that famous Portugal v North Korea World Cup match in 1966 (N Korea three up at HT, result NK 3 Portugal 5).