The Green Final

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Troll

Post by Troll »

Hi, I remember this paper in the late 60s early 70s. My friend and I would buy it after watching Leeds at Headingley Wakefield etc. It may be just my memory or something, but if the matches finished around 5.00 (as rugby league did back then), how were they on sale so soon for the other results (football etc) to be in the paper?Trick of the mind I suppose.I do remember reading it on the way back home after an away match on the bus.
Go the Rhinos.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

I know somewhere we have discussed newspaper sellers around town, but this seems to be the appropriate place to place a report in today's YEP telling that Joe Haigh has passed away aged 99.Joe was the chap always to be seen outside Lewis's selling the papers, I certainly remember him there even in the days of childhood visits to see another fine gentleman who moved into the store's upper floor in December each year - I'm sure many others will remember Joe too.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6009964.jp

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

chameleon wrote: I know somewhere we have discussed newspaper sellers around town, but this seems to be the appropriate place to place a report in today's YEP telling that Joe Haigh has passed away aged 99.Joe was the chap always to be seen outside Lewis's selling the papers, I certainly remember him there even in the days of childhood visits to see another fine gentleman who moved into the store's upper floor in December each year - I'm sure many others will remember Joe too.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6009964.jp In the years when there was a choice, did newsvendors in the streets of Leeds sell both papers - the News and the Post or were they exclusive to one or the other. I ought to remember, but I don't.
Industria Omnia Vincit

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I have mentioned Joe Haigh on here before somewhere.He used to stand at the top of Middleton Park Grove on a Saturday evening waiting for papers to be dropped off. His cry was "final news or post", so he sold both

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

uncle mick wrote: I have mentioned Joe Haigh on here before somewhere.He used to stand at the top of Middleton Park Grove on a Saturday evening waiting for papers to be dropped off. His cry was "final news or post", so he sold both ta
Industria Omnia Vincit

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Trojan wrote: chameleon wrote: I know somewhere we have discussed newspaper sellers around town, but this seems to be the appropriate place to place a report in today's YEP telling that Joe Haigh has passed away aged 99.Joe was the chap always to be seen outside Lewis's selling the papers, I certainly remember him there even in the days of childhood visits to see another fine gentleman who moved into the store's upper floor in December each year - I'm sure many others will remember Joe too.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6009964.jp In the years when there was a choice, did newsvendors in the streets of Leeds sell both papers - the News and the Post or were they exclusive to one or the other. I ought to remember, but I don't. Yes they sold both, always bought the post at the Corn Exchange before I caught the bus home and if I had dropped into the Regent Pub in Kirkgate for a couple then it was later and if the Vendor had a lot of the "News" he would hand it to you unless one specified "Post"

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

uncle mick wrote: I have mentioned Joe Haigh on here before somewhere.He used to stand at the top of Middleton Park Grove on a Saturday evening waiting for papers to be dropped off. His cry was "final news or post", so he sold both Until retiring at around (I think) ninety years old the wonderful Joe used to sell the YEP in the west corner doorway of Lewiss's.His loud sales call was "POHWST - FINAILLLL" after which you received a soft, warm and humble appreciation of "THAAAARNK YOU LURRRV." What a wonderful character Joe was, and only in the later years did I come to be aware of his massive operating area around Middleton as well.     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

Now whether the memory is playing tricks I seem to remember back in the 60's a guy walking the streets Saturday evening round Burley shouting 'Racing and half time' and it was a green paper did they do two runs one with the full time scores one half time?
life is not a dress rehearsal

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

BLAKEY wrote: uncle mick wrote: I have mentioned Joe Haigh on here before somewhere.He used to stand at the top of Middleton Park Grove on a Saturday evening waiting for papers to be dropped off. His cry was "final news or post", so he sold both Until retiring at around (I think) ninety years old the wonderful Joe used to sell the YEP in the west corner doorway of Lewiss's.His loud sales call was "POHWST - FINAILLLL" after which you received a soft, warm and humble appreciation of "THAAAARNK YOU LURRRV." What a wonderful character Joe was, and only in the later years did I come to be aware of his massive operating are around Middleton as well.      Much talked about above as you know Blakey - I think everyone of a 'certain age' will remember him

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

On a Saturday night after being to the Mecca or Majestic dancing we would queue up in City Square and Infirmary Street for the late night Bus service that started about 12.30 am. there were hundreds of young people waiting there. A man used to come around selling the Sunday papers and it was something a bit unusual to actually have a Sunday paper on a Saturday night. think one of them was Reynolds News ??. for all that there was such a large amount of folks gathered there, quite a few inebriated I never saw any trouble.