The Green Final

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
stevief

Post by stevief »

Does anyone remember this curious publication?Usually hit the news stands about 5.00pm on Saturdays with all the football resultsThis was in the days before Sky Sports and other up-to-the-minuteresults services.Another regular feature was caricature drawings of sporting characters by someone called Speed.It was so 'hot from the press' that the ink left finger ends black.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Sure do steve! Amazing paper! A guy used to walk around Harehills selling it & shouting 'Green Paper' in the same quick tone you could hear him coming for ages. That was in the late 80's i can say it was still going although i don't know when they stopped printing it. Wasn't the paper quality poor. Some special paper that ink dried on quick someone told me. Lots of these things dissapear like the fish man going around working mens clubs selling prawns cockles & muscles. Oh for the old days eh?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

stevief

Post by stevief »

It may have been special paper but it didn't dry quick enough!I can remember the cold fish sellers.We'd be in the Haddon watching live music when the smell of vinegar would waft through,followed by the seller.He sold cold battered fish among other delicacies :-o

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

"Green'Un! Get yer Green'Un" - a blast from the past there StevieF! A seller used to shout that, as I was walking up Lowfields Road to get the bus home after United's home games, in the 60's. I could never figure out how they got ALL the final scores through on time to print 'em out so quick, ne'er mind get them out on sale!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Phill_d wrote: Sure do steve! Amazing paper! A guy used to walk around Harehills selling it & shouting 'Green Paper' in the same quick tone you could hear him coming for ages. That was in the late 80's i can say it was still going although i don't know when they stopped printing it. Wasn't the paper quality poor. Some special paper that ink dried on quick someone told me. Lots of these things dissapear like the fish man going around working mens clubs selling prawns cockles & muscles. Oh for the old days eh? that same guy was shouting 'green final' from at least the late 60's.we lived on conway mount then moved up to gipton,where he would still be shouting,my dad used to tell us to wait at the gate with the money,cos if he knocked he would nearly put the door through.someone told me once that he walked with his papers all the way to seacroft.in the year 2000 the fish man still called at the fairway on saturday nights.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

I've seen the "fishman" as recently as last year in the Drysalters.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I seem to remember that the business(or one of them) selling fish/prawns/cockles etc from a basket in pubs was called "Kershaw's".
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

the "kershaws super cockle" man used to come into the miners in Garforth every friday night with his basket of delights. he had a weird almost west country accent and would always shout "prawns, cockles, mussels, seafood" as he came in, to which everyone in the pub shouted back "have you got crabs?" never really understood it myself..oh and you never drank a pint of tetleys pulled from the pump near the hatch to the taproom....

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

the "kershaws super cockle" man used to come into the miners in Garforth every friday night with his basket of delights. he had a weird almost west country accent and would always shout "prawns, cockles, mussels, seafood" as he came in, to which everyone in the pub shouted back "have you got crabs?" never really understood it myself..oh and you never drank a pint of tetleys pulled from the pump near the hatch to the taproom....

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Ahh the memories. It's hardly progress that we don't have a green 'un today and the fish man was ace, you'd rearely eat picked cockles at home but there's just something about a decent pint and a bit of seafood that makes you feel at home. It should be rank really but it works.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.