Short length roads in the centre of Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Short length roads in the centre of Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

I started a post on September 12 2015 in which I wondered why Bishopgate Street had a its own name despite being such a short road. This has got me thinking (I do try to do that sometimes ;)) about some other short roads in the centre of Leeds. For example there is Duncan Street that could easily be part of Boar Lane. New Market Street could be part of Vicar Lane. Lower Briggate and New Briggate could be part of Briggate (or New Briggate could be Upper Briggate if its location is thought useful to state). Aire Street could be part of Whitehall Road. I appreciate that the names have historical interest but it is surprising that they are still retained.

PS. I do though like the very aptly named 'Short Street' that runs between Albion Street and Butts Court. :)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Re: Short length roads in the centre of Leeds.

Post by tyke bhoy »

As per my comments on the Crown Hotel thread about "Hunslet Road" somethings aren't quite as they now seem. I had a look at the 1850 map here
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/429634 ... /13/100430

Now I don't have a subscription so am unable to zoom in on detail but

Boar Lane appears to meet Briggate just slightly north of Duncan Street so back then it wasn't the continous East-West thoroughfare reconfigurations have made it today. Given they were separate streets which name would have been overwritten?

New Market Street didn't even exist although Vicar Lane did. It could be like Boar Lane/Duncan Street the original configuration was an offset join and the width of New Market Street would suggest it may have been widened during its existence perhaps adding a little weight to the theory.

Is it officially Lower Briggate and if so is that perhaps something that crept in after the main section was pedestrainised? Pedestrianisation is well within my lifetime and I think I can even recall riding south on Briggate nut was it Lower Briggate then, I can't recall. As for New Briggate, the wide thoroughfare comes to an abrupt end at what appears to be the Headrow (although my eyesight seems to suggest the map calls it something else). There is then a much narrower and slightly offset street running up to Mark Lane (between the former Lewis's and St John's churchyard. So while a continuation of Briggate I suspect the word New was added to designate that it was precisely that at the time.

Both Aire Street and Whitehall Road existed and the former much as it is today. However Whitehall Road didn't use to curve into Aire Street as it does now but it gently curved the other way and came out on Whitehall Road with that old stretch covering what is now Thirsk Row.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks tyke bhoy for that interesting information. :)

I've just had a look at Google Street View (GSV) and though its map states 'Lower Briggate' the street name signs on it state 'Briggate'. On checking their address some premises there give theirs as 'Lower Briggate' but others give theirs as 'Briggate'. It would seem likely therefore that Lower Briggate is just an informal name. On the other hand the street name signs for 'New Briggate' on GSV do state 'New Briggate', which must thus be its official name.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

I am very nearly 80 and have worked and shopped, drank etc. around the city centre for most of that time. on leaving school I worked for a while in the Golden Lion Hotel, that and the Viaduct pub were known as in in Lower Briggate from Boar Lane . and places like Watson Cairns cycle shop was the same but I guess it was so well known as Lower that these company's adopted it. possibly one of the oldest established firms down there was Dyson's Jewellers (1800s) and their address was Briggate .

Another street that folks got confused was North Street which did not end at the Dispensary ? Heatons Factory where it met Vicar Lane but actually curved right up and met Upper Briggate.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that j.c.d.

Your comment that you're "very nearly 80 and have worked and shopped, drank etc. around the city centre for most of that time" made me :). Going up and down the floors of the Trinity, Core and St. John's shopping centres (malls!) and finding my way around is almost enough to drive me to drink! The Victoriagate Centre in due course will no doubt be the same.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

j.c.d. wrote:I am very nearly 80 and have worked and shopped, drank etc. around the city centre for most of that time. on leaving school I worked for a while in the Golden Lion Hotel, that and the Viaduct pub were known as in in Lower Briggate from Boar Lane . and places like Watson Cairns cycle shop was the same but I guess it was so well known as Lower that these company's adopted it. possibly one of the oldest established firms down there was Dyson's Jewellers (1800s) and their address was Briggate .

Another street that folks got confused was North Street which did not end at the Dispensary ? Heatons Factory where it met Vicar Lane but actually curved right up and met Upper Briggate.
And the other end Meanwood Road starts where the old Midland Bank is and North Street carries on up towards Roundhay Road past the hand car wash to meet the bottom of Chapeltown Road and Sheepscar St South (the latter which did not exist until c.1929 and traffic must have gone straight into North Street from Chapeltown Road).

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

That is quite so, in the old days I think people did assume that |north St. ended at the Midland Bank junction when in actual fact even into the early 1960s that stretch of shops and businesses were quite vibrant. I could think of at least a dozen that were there in that period.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Regarding "Short Streets" in Lower Briggate there were various short ginnells /allleys, for example there was two around the Royal Hotel / Watson Cairns area, one led up to the Whip and the other I only remember had various small businesss "Professor Marks" body building was one up there. I think there were a couple opposite by Dysons Jewellers and there were a couple more down under the Railway bridge by the Viaduct Pub.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

j.c.d. wrote:Regarding "Short Streets" in Lower Briggate there were various short ginnells /allleys, for example there was two around the Royal Hotel / Watson Cairns area, one led up to the Whip and the other I only remember had various small businesss "Professor Marks" body building was one up there. I think there were a couple opposite by Dysons Jewellers and there were a couple more down under the Railway bridge by the Viaduct Pub.
Lower Briggate yards in 1909
Attachments
Briggate Yards 1.JPG
Briggate Yards 1.JPG (309.5 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
Briggate Yards 2.JPG
Briggate Yards 2.JPG (929.19 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
Briggate Yards 3.JPG
Briggate Yards 3.JPG (542.6 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Great Maps, I worked in that Tailoring Factory in Swinegate W.H. Stembridge some 40 odd years later prior to go in the R.A.F.