Bishopgate Street

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Bishopgate Street

Post by Leodian »

It's one of those things that I've never given thought to before but I did when I was recently in the area. It's just how short Bishopgate Street is in that it starts at the junction of Swinegate and Mill Hill and ends at City Square. It almost seems pointless to have such a short stretch of road have its own name. I wonder if it is an historical name for a once longer 'road' that was kept for that which it is now?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

simong

Re: Bishopgate Street

Post by simong »

I had a look at the history of the castle a couple of years ago and it may just be the location of the Bishop's Gate and had 'street' added when the area was being developed, which in itself could be just some quirk of local naming conventions. There are much shorter streets in other places for that matter.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

When I was a lad that area just below, under the Railway was always known as "The Dark Arches" is it still known as that today ?.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

j.c.d. wrote:When I was a lad that area just below, under the Railway was always known as "The Dark Arches" is it still known as that today ?.
The Dark Arches are off Neville St not Bishopgate St
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

simong wrote:I had a look at the history of the castle a couple of years ago and it may just be the location of the Bishop's Gate and had 'street' added when the area was being developed, which in itself could be just some quirk of local naming conventions. There are much shorter streets in other places for that matter.
Thanks for your help simong :).

Talking of short streets this is a link to a SL thread that I posted on September 6 2011 about the very aptly named Short Street that runs between Butts Court and Albion Street:- http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3371
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:!:
Bishopgate Street 1900 map

:arrow:
Attachments
Bishopgate St 1900.JPG
Bishopgate St 1900.JPG (264.42 KiB) Viewed 2743 times

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

buffaloskinner wrote:
j.c.d. wrote:When I was a lad that area just below, under the Railway was always known as "The Dark Arches" is it still known as that today ?.
The Dark Arches are off Neville St not Bishopgate St
Thank you but I think that anyone who knows Leeds would be aware of that,
my question was concerning the name "Dark Arches".

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

At over 50 perhaps not the best to comment but yes I know them as the dark arches and believe I have seen them referred to as such in public announcements. They aren't so "dark" these days though with plenty of lighting.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:!:
I believe that it became called Granary Wharf sometime in the 90's when it was full of shops and had a Sunday Market.
Although it is always referred to as the Dark Arches, the newly developed flats (sorry apartments) development is still called Granary Wharf.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

buffaloskinner wrote::!:
Bishopgate Street 1900 map

I had always thought "New Station Street" to be errr relatively new. I was surprised to see it was a "flyover" of Swinegate and Neville Street even in 1900.

Also with Leo on this one in wondering why such a short stretch of road came to have a separate name
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/