Soldiers in Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Just heard some brass band in town, and looked out of the window to see a load of soldiers in Leeds, they marched from Cookridge Street up the Headrow towards Eastgate and then about 10 minutes later they went back along the Headrow the other way towards Wesgate, still playing and marching!! Wonder what that was all about? - Pics atached.
Attachments
__TFMF_g15poye4run5brbnjdek3gby_fafc38e8-2bd4-47f3-9297-8e3ea68cfff9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_g15poye4run5brbnjdek3gby_fafc38e8-2bd4-47f3-9297-8e3ea68cfff9_0_main.jpg (716.32 KiB) Viewed 2476 times

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

Yeah I was at the Corn Exchange when they passed. All in desert gear. They must have just got back from....somewhere. Didn't look very tanned though!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Wonder which barracks they are from, Carlton?Strange to see these days!

big s

Post by big s »

i watched the parade and inspection in millenium square,saw the lord mayor inspect the troops etc ,listened to the band and watched them march off.why it all happened well i have no idea.
at least until the world stops going round.

stevief

Post by stevief »

LS1 wrote: Just heard some brass band in town, and looked out of the window to see a load of soldiers in Leeds, they marched from Cookridge Street up the Headrow towards Eastgate and then about 10 minutes later they went back along the Headrow the other way towards Wesgate, still playing and marching!! Wonder what that was all about? - Pics atached. Your photo took me back to my childhood.Each year on Remembrance Day our Dad took us kids into town to watch the old soldiers marching passed.It was always very well attended,regardless of the weather.I'm ashamed to say I haven't been foryears.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Nowt about it in the YEP online this eve...possibly a regiment back from Iraq? Strange there is no media coverage of this.
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

By the way, three guesses as to where I took this from!

simonm

Post by simonm »

LS1 wrote: By the way, three guesses as to where I took this from! A window??
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Yeah, har har Simon!! But which one!!If you get todays Yorkshire Post, there was an article on page 3 or 5 about this. They are troops, some coming back from Iraq and others about to go to Afganistan, from the newly formed Yorkshire Regiment. They were getting the freedom of the city, hence the parade in Millenium Square. There may be a link on the YP website, but I wouldnt hold my breath!