whereabouts in Leeds are forum members from?

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tilly

Re: whereabouts in Leeds are forum members from?

Post by tilly »

I think i have said before Hunslet and proud of it.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Althouth i have posted alredy about moving from the Giton Estate when our Dad died suddenly aged 46 my Mother gote us a council house in Beeston where her brother John lived 100 yards away and her sister Agnes lived in the next street. It was difficult for a while but we settled in. My Brother Peter came out of the RAF. and got married, lived for a while in Fulham Street over the park, then moved to the Whincover estate at Farnley. then he moved back to a newly built house in Wesley Street. (Good job he did as people digging the gardens found scrap metal in large chunks including a lorry chassis which went from one garden to another) On the move again they bought a house in Jessamine Avenue off Old Lane. Not satified with that they then bought a house on Old Lane and finally a Bungalow opposite St Anthonys Rc. on Old Lane.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi volvojack
was the house in wesley street in that row on the left going down the hill , if so the were built on land that used to be part of tommy whiteheads scrap yard.
regards
sm
ps
the white hart pub is still going but beeston wmc has been pulled down and the land built on.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hello Snowman, Yes he's was one of the ones's built in a row below the Methodist Church. we should have remembered as we walked down that way to Elland Road. when United were at home. There was also a way down fron Silver Street ( Beeston Club) where we used to walk back up from the Greyhound Track (Skint) Happy Days.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

I remember the MP, Merlyn Rees, having a constituency house in Wesley Street (his own house was in Pinner, Middlesex). He became the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland in 1974 until 1976. Because of this and the problems in Northern Ireland, he had a great deal of personal security.

At this time, I was a Detective Sergeant at Dewsbury Road Police Station. Whenever he came to Leeds his security was covered by the Special Branch from the Metropolitan Police and the Special Branch from Leeds City Police (later West Yorkshire Police as from 1st April 1974). He used to fulfil his local functions and surgeries and then return to Wesley Street around 10pm or later, depending on what he was doing. At 10pm the local C.I.D. at Dewsbury Road Police Station took over the security at his home address from the Special Branch officers. On a number of occasions, at this time, along with a Detective Constable, I was responsible for the security and we were both armed.

Mr Rees and his wife would come home and we would sit and chat with them until the early hours, whilst they had their supper and a drink, until they went to bed. We remained inside the house until the Special Branch officers returned around 8am to continue with his security. Mr Rees and his wife were lovely people and treated us like friends. Sometimes, another Detective Sergeant, Colin Wilson (who was a personal friend of mine and who died just a few weeks ago), also carried out the duties with another detective officer.

In 1976, some armed uniform officers were tasked with the security as all of the local detective branch were engaged on other duties, and it was necessary for the officers performing the duties to be firearms trained. The officers were very noisy and made such a racket, throughout the night, inside the house, whilst Mr and Mrs Rees were trying to sleep, that it was requested that, in future, the security be maintained from a Police Car parked outside the house.

Mrs Rees woke up early one morning and took a tray with tea and toast for the officers in the car, only to find the armed officers both fast asleep and she had difficulty in wakening them. I think that the matter was the subject of a discipline enquiry. I do not know what the outcome was.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I think this is just about the most honest and interesting replys showing the characater of Leodians. More please

stephenmgill1950

Post by stephenmgill1950 »

Hi everyone 1961Fenton St near army barracks, St George school annexe Burley road, York Road white tower garage/Scholes Aberford school. Back to charlston St LS 8 Victory school on York road moved to brand new cross green for 6 months, up to Seacroft next to Foxwood school Brooklands Ave, dad passed away here only 44 on buses for 25plus years married a Leeds lass from LS 8 miles Hill road bought house on new whinmoor estate only one we could get a mortgage on at the time. Daughter born stayed until she was going to high school moved to Oakwood Lane (roundhay road end) stayed there until 2001emigrated to N Z with all family got a new grandson. Loved Leeds been back a few times for family things BUT Leeds became unsafe for us/me me and daughter in an armed bank raid me retired after very serious assault on bus whilst driving in city centre wrong place so I was told.Full circle granddaughter back in Leeds on her OE.love the site nice to be updated even though things have disappeared. Best mate next to Neville Hill. Thanks for reading.

billy the buffalo

Post by billy the buffalo »

I am a bramley lad but dad was a very proud hunslet man and mum is kirkstall/headingley/ Sandrord girl