Empire Arcade

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Yea! Other Clothes, that was it - 'fraid my jeans became insufficient to circumnavigate my mid-region quite a l o n g time ago!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Scandy Bramley wrote: wiggy wrote: thats it jumbo,my friend lent them a 'steel pulse' album,and they 'lost' it,turned out to be worth a mint. Which album was that? I have most of them stashed in my cellar i will ask him when i see him mate.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

There was an hearing aid shop in the arcade, now at side of market
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

wiggy wrote: Scandy Bramley wrote: wiggy wrote: thats it jumbo,my friend lent them a 'steel pulse' album,and they 'lost' it,turned out to be worth a mint. Which album was that? I have most of them stashed in my cellar i will ask him when i see him mate. Appreciated....
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

simonm

Post by simonm »

buffaloskinner wrote: There was an hearing aid shop in the arcade, now at side of market Really? Never heard of it......
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Scandy Bramley wrote: wiggy wrote: Scandy Bramley wrote: wiggy wrote: thats it jumbo,my friend lent them a 'steel pulse' album,and they 'lost' it,turned out to be worth a mint. Which album was that? I have most of them stashed in my cellar i will ask him when i see him mate. Appreciated.... just seen his little bruvver in the paper shop,he seems to fink it was 'tribute to the martyrs'---but mickey blood is often wrong---ganja abuse??
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

simong

Post by simong »

Scandy Bramley wrote: Ro-Man wrote: What about Black Cat records, a second hand shop in the late 80s / early 90s? I think that was down in the bottom right hand corner.Vinyl downstairs and tapes upstairs. Not sure about CDs, as my pocket money would only stretch to tapes. That was called JUMBO Records, in the 70's I believe? When I got my first stereo, I sold loads of old 45RPM records there, to get stereo L.P.'s with the money. Jumbo have wandered about a bit - they were in the back of the Merrion in the 80s, and now they're in the St John's Centre. Black Cat does ring a bell though too.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo on January 3 2012. It shows 'Empire Palace' above the entrance to Harvey Nichols in the Cross Arcade. I'm not definite but I think this is where the Empire Arcade from Briggate came out in Cross Arcade. I don't though know if the 'Empire Palace' name was there when the Empire Arcade was built after the Empire Theatre was demolished, or if it is new stonework done when Harvey Nichols was built. I suspect it is the latter, but it would be nice to be wrong and that it is an old feature.
Attachments
__TFMF_2j21ngmuzluh3m45mu4n1cqs_f7feef7e-c673-42f8-84e9-12d1fc0b564f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_2j21ngmuzluh3m45mu4n1cqs_f7feef7e-c673-42f8-84e9-12d1fc0b564f_0_main.jpg (297.65 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo was taken on January 3 2012 and shows a close-up view of the 'Empire Palace' name above the entrance to Harvey Nichols in Cross Arcade at the site where Empire Arcade may have met Cross Arcade.
Attachments
__TFMF_zwh1dhbciyuvkq55f3sp4faa_8cca8296-6eff-4469-8b32-9ad162853816_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zwh1dhbciyuvkq55f3sp4faa_8cca8296-6eff-4469-8b32-9ad162853816_0_main.jpg (166.82 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

From several sites around the net - here's just one - http://ipswich-lettering.org/leeds.htmlthis appears to be an original feature. On the website above they call it a 'cartouche'.    There are some good photos of various spots in the city centre on there too.