Vanishing Buildings

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
gaelicstorm

Post by gaelicstorm »

Hi all,Time for a quick rant, I'm really going to have to get my a*se into gear and get out and about in my local area and photograph some of the local buildings before there either knocked down or redeveloped, just recently a lovely old mill complex was knocked down, the weighbridge office was amazing and the main mill had an air raid siren still in it (wonder how many of those ther are in the Leeds area ?) , now it's all gone just a flat piece of land, I'm kicking myself fo not getting to record it before it was flattened, so my project for the nest few weeks is to try and take as many images of the buildings I pass every day, because they may not be there for much longer !Rant Over Alan

rikj

Post by rikj »

Feel free to rant, we all need to sometimes. I'm sure you'll find a few like minded souls here.Do you know what vintage the siren was? Leeds will have had some from WWII and I guess maybe some from the Cold War. Does his mean it's now in some landfill?

jf

Post by jf »

There's a mill building in Bramley coming down at the moment, if you head along Stanningley Road from the bypass roundabout (coming out of Leeds) it's just on your right, behind a big stone wall.Going soon will be the old meter factory in Armley (whose tower is something of a local landmark and commands fantastic views over Leeds), and the tall factory building at the bottom of Melville Road, Meanwood. With a bit of imagination both these buildings could have at least partially been retained.

simonm

Post by simonm »

jf wrote: Going soon will be the old meter factory in Armley (whose tower is something of a local landmark and commands fantastic views over Leeds). What meter factory? Your not refering to the old mill on Armley rd are you. If so, thats not coming down, it's been transformed into flats!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

stevief

Post by stevief »

gaelicstorm wrote: Hi all,Time for a quick rant, I'm really going to have to get my a*se into gear and get out and about in my local area and photograph some of the local buildings before there either knocked down or redeveloped, just recently a lovely old mill complex was knocked down, the weighbridge office was amazing and the main mill had an air raid siren still in it (wonder how many of those ther are in the Leeds area ?) , now it's all gone just a flat piece of land, I'm kicking myself fo not getting to record it before it was flattened, so my project for the nest few weeks is to try and take as many images of the buildings I pass every day, because they may not be there for much longer !Rant Over Alan I heard an air-raid siren in a news bulletin this weekend.It was in somewhere in the midlands and used as a flood warning.Better not scrap 'em all just yet!

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

I know West Leeds High School isnt that old but some parts of it have been there for a long while (as West Leeds Girls High school) but it is coming down in a couple of years. Maybe it's just me but I think that we need more records of the inside of buildings. I'm taking pics of areas like the science labs which have always been there (not the bits that have been added on in recent years). Can people who work in old buildings take piccies now before these buildings disappear

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

simonm wrote: jf wrote: Going soon will be the old meter factory in Armley (whose tower is something of a local landmark and commands fantastic views over Leeds). What meter factory? Your not refering to the old mill on Armley rd are you. If so, thats not coming down, it's been transformed into flats! Kent Meters? Arry used to work there, I recall?
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Scandy Bramley wrote: simonm wrote: jf wrote: Going soon will be the old meter factory in Armley (whose tower is something of a local landmark and commands fantastic views over Leeds). What meter factory? Your not refering to the old mill on Armley rd are you. If so, thats not coming down, it's been transformed into flats! Kent Meters? Arry used to work there, I recall? Ah, I remember now. Cheers!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Where was Kent Meters??

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Duh! Sorry, just remembered my Dad worked there. Moorfield Road isn't it. I used to work in that area too. In little factory building called Linear Products, just near the corner shop facing Charley Cake Park. Bloody freezing in there, rickety wooden steps, outside loo and it's still standing