Red Kites

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: Looking at the size and number of 'em round here, I'd best get the cat in      I think you best Jogon.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s.htmlPoor little Vinnie The Pooch
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Driving back from GAP this morning, we saw three red kites together, circling over the Ring Road at Moortown betwixt Sainsburys and the water tower. We also spotted a solo red kite near Red Hall.They are a magnificent sight, but a nightmare to photograph.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I'm reminded that I haven't seen either of the 'East Leeds' Red Kites for a good few weeks now - have I just been unlucky or has something darker happened?They were a semi-regular sight and it would be horrible to thing they succumbed to anything nefarious.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote: I'm reminded that I haven't seen either of the 'East Leeds' Red Kites for a good few weeks now - have I just been unlucky or has something darker happened?They were a semi-regular sight and it would be horrible to thing they succumbed to anything nefarious. End of the breeding season so they tend to gravitate back toward their place of birth (the adults that is) so they could well be moving back toward Harewood.Thats why in winter there are so many flying around between Weardley/Arthithingon/Eccup/Harewood.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hiya raveydavey. Passing by on a bus today on the Wetherby Road in the Coal Road area around 12:15ish there were several Red Kites flying around providing a lovely sight. Some looked particularly large. They were the first in any number that I've seen for a while now.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

They are all over the place and i've seen as many as three at once circling my house in Horsforth. There's also a pair on the Hawksworth Estate with regularity. Who would have ever believed it 20 years ago!
Come on Leeds United!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Saw one very low over the grass by the Kirkstall viaduct. By low I mean 12 feet!

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Funnily enough I saw one fly very low over Horsforth Railway Station this morning and I seemed to be the only one taking any notice of it. It made a couple of passes before disheartening and seemed to be flying so slowly it ought to drop out of the air.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

I saw a pair of red kites circling above the vineyard at Newsam Green this morning. That's the closest to home (Rothwell) that I've seen them.    
The older I get, the better I was.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Three at the weekend over NE Leeds, between Coal Road and York Road again, one smaller - maybe this year's youngster? Regular visitors.