Water level of the River Aire at Leeds Crown Point.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I see the water level data for the Crown Point site has been updated as it now states "The river level at Leeds Crown Point is 0.61 metres. This measurement was recorded at 18:00 on 20/08/2012". It has risen a bit!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: I see the water level data for the Crown Point site has been updated as it now states "The river level at Leeds Crown Point is 0.61 metres. This measurement was recorded at 18:00 on 20/08/2012". It has risen a bit! Sandbags at the ready!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: Leodian wrote: I see the water level data for the Crown Point site has been updated as it now states "The river level at Leeds Crown Point is 0.61 metres. This measurement was recorded at 18:00 on 20/08/2012". It has risen a bit! Sandbags at the ready! They may be needed! For the Kirkstall Abbey recording point it currently states "The river level at Kirkstall Abbey is 1.85 metres. This measurement was recorded at 08:00 on 22/08/2012. The typical river level range for this location is between 1.44 metres and 1.90 metres" so it's close to the highest normal. At Crown Point the water level at 8 o'clock today was 0.91 metres, so it has gone up a far bit! I think I best find my wellies!     

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I've just been looking at the water levels website and there has (not surprisingly) been a sharp rise in the level today at Crown Point. The latest reading is "The river level at Leeds Crown Point is 1.51 metres. This measurement was recorded at 16:30 on 24/09/2012. The typical river level range for this location is between 0.53 metres and 1.35 metres". There has been nearly a metre rise today (and still rising) and the level is now at a flooding is possible level. The rise at the Armley measuring station is even greater today.Edit added later. The level at Crown Point was 1.70 metres recorded at 18:00 on 24/09/2012. That at Armely has risen a bit over 2 metres from its low point today. Both are now well into the flooding is possible level and clearly still rising. A look at the water under the Dark Arches may be interesting now or tomorrow!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: I've just been looking at the water levels website and there has (not surprisingly) been a sharp rise in the level today at Crown Point. The latest reading is "The river level at Leeds Crown Point is 1.51 metres. This measurement was recorded at 16:30 on 24/09/2012. The typical river level range for this location is between 0.53 metres and 1.35 metres". There has been nearly a metre rise today (and still rising) and the level is now at a flooding is possible level. The rise at the Armley measuring station is even greater today.Edit added later. The level at Crown Point was 1.70 metres recorded at 18:00 on 24/09/2012. That at Armely has risen a bit over 2 metres from its low point today. Both are now well into the flooding is possible level and clearly still rising. A look at the water under the Dark Arches may be interesting now or tomorrow! Amber warnings have already been issued by the Environment Agency for the Aire and also the Calder today. Trains at Shipley are reportedly delayed by flooding, so there is clearly more to come...In fact: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... =aireShows an imminent flooding risk at Neptune Street in Leeds now!If you click through onto the map it shows a risk to everything from Apperly Bridge down to Leeds city centre - Wyke Beck around the A64 looks threatening too.    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that raveydavey.The situation looks grim for some areas close to the river. The level of the River Aire is still rising on seeing the most recent readings at Crown Point and Armley.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

I used to walk to work down East Street and vividly remember the river lapping on to the road towards Crown Point. It's vicious with ice down there on cold mornings too.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Radio said the Aire has burst its banks 'in Leeds' but not where.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Sorry Leo, bit out of town butThe 'steps' waterfall by the A660 Otley Rd/Old Pool Bank was a 2 foot high torrent last night as I passed by.(pic=it, not torrent)
Attachments
__TFMF_v4lshzawxvcld045vtxd1hir_4eddf9e5-c050-4b52-b9f6-61cb31e99d43_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_v4lshzawxvcld045vtxd1hir_4eddf9e5-c050-4b52-b9f6-61cb31e99d43_0_main.jpg (97.76 KiB) Viewed 6542 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Sorry Leo, bit out of town butThe 'steps' waterfall by the A660 Otley Rd/Old Pool Bank was a 2 foot high torrent last night as I passed by.(pic=it, not torrent) I had not realised until I saw your link Jogon that the Old Pool Bank Road went further than I thought and is still there next to the A660. I pass the area very occasionally and even walked past on the A660 a few weeks back (passing the 'steps') but the only Old Pool Bank Road that I thought ever existed was that leading down to Pool from the sharp bend on the A660 at a small interesting-looking old building. My local area knowledge is sadly lacking! I assume the stretch I had not known about no longer carries motor traffic.