Water level of the River Aire at Leeds Crown Point.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

book wrote: Is it possible to walk from the city, dark arches to where the photo is taken along the river ? From The Dark Arches to Clarence (New) Dock? I could be wrong but I don't think all the waterfront is accessible to a pedestrian, but most of it is. I think you'd do better on the South side of the river.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

tilly

Post by tilly »

raveydavey wrote: tilly wrote: Leodian wrote: Jogon wrote: with underground parking So that is where that bloke with his submarine parks eh! When he is not parked here.Sorry about double post.     Is it just me. or does that not look particularly submarine-esque? More like a narrowboat with a plywood conning tower attached... Thats what it is its a mockup just for laughs.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There seems to have been no rain of note for some while now so I've just looked at the river level of the River Aire at Leeds Crown Point in the Environment Agency's river level website and the level is currently very low at 0.46 metres. This is the link to the Crown Point site:- http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/r ... 061Looking around at other sites and rivers in the Environment Agency's website shows that quite low river levels are now a common feature in at least Yorkshire.    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Thanks Leo, I'd forgotten about this thread. Perhaps now would be a good time to go over the ford to the island near Kirkstall -- I might have to take a walk down there tomorrow and see.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Found this website for river level guages. You can even get the data tweeted to your phone!http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cardiarms wrote: Found this website for river level guages. You can even get the data tweeted to your phone!http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/ Thanks for that link Cardiarms. I've noticed that it has some sites that do not seem to be in the Environment Agency river levels website, such as that in Meanwood which is presumably the level of Sheepscar Beck. Or should it be Meanwood Beck as I call it that there, like I call it Adel Beck until it runs under the Ring Road then to me it is Meanwood Beck until it meets Sheepscar area.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

As it has been so dry for some time now I thought I would look at the river levels in the Environment Agency website and the Gaugemap website.It surprised me just how much water is still around, though the rivers in the region are at their lowest normal level to just below (the level of the River Aire at Crown Point was 0.40 metres at 18:00 on 18/09/2014, so just under its normal low). It could be a good time to cross the river to get to the island in the River Aire near Kirkstall way!    

Leodian

Re: Water level of the River Aire at Leeds Crown Point.

Post by Leodian »

The old River and Sea levels section in the Environment Agency website is no longer available. This is the link to the new River and Sea levels for England section (it is though stated to be a Beta version, so it could alter):- https://flood-warning-information.servi ... sea-levels. Navigation to the local measuring stations is straightforward, once you work it out!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I’ve just had a look at the UK river levels website and notice there is a local site that I don’t recall seeing before, so it may be a new site. In its current information it states:-

“Hol Beck at Leeds Holbeck Flood Alleviation Scheme. Latest recorded level 23.97m at 1:15pm Monday 28 May 2018. Station name: Leeds Holbeck Flood Alleviation Scheme. Typical range: 23.85m to 24.39m. Highest level on record: 25.10m on 03 April 2018 (awaiting validation)”.

A location map shows the recorder is in the Globe Road/Water Lane area. The measurements given seem to be unbelievably high so I wonder if anyone has seen the recording site to be able to see why the readings are so high? If correct there must be a lot of water being controlled.

jim

Post by jim »

One needs to know where the datum level is taken as being.