Bicycle Shops of Leeds (+Former)

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

I have just remembered that shop with the bicycle on a display pole.Used to see it every day as I went to school on the bus.Shop was called Bradshaws, the bicycle was there some years after the cycle shop itself closed.For those of us who were into the more serious side of cycling, there weren't really all that many dealers, other places of note were Ellis Briggs in Shipley, and also Lamberts over on Keighley road. Sad thing is that lots of riders would drive over to get their stuff.We've still got Kendell cycles in Castleford, I remember when it was run by Ken Cowdell, now it's Gary Proud - he is renown for his wheelbuilding, but times are changing so now the folk are even buying ready made wheels - albeit paying out £800 and more - seems you can get a pretty good pair of wheels for that sort of money, me, I'd never pay more than £500 or £600 for a pair, but then I'm a bit of a cheapskate, and I'm not racing these days, never was all that fast anyway.

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

Woodruffs in Headingley on North Lane. Old Mrs Woodruff ran that shop. My late father spent his hard earned there. Still a shop on Kirkstall Road.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Loiner1960 wrote: Woodruffs in Headingley on North Lane. Old Mrs Woodruff ran that shop. My late father spent his hard earned there. Still a shop on Kirkstall Road. Jean Woodrup was a 10 mile English national road champion.Not a lot of people know that

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

There was a bike shop/model shop next to the entrance to Ledgards on Armley Road. I think it was there till mid 70's. The name has been mentioned on SL before but it's slipped my mind.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Chrism wrote: There was a bike shop/model shop next to the entrance to Ledgards on Armley Road. I think it was there till mid 70's. The name has been mentioned on SL before but it's slipped my mind. Cavill's is the elusive name Chrism
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

weenie

Post by weenie »

There use to be a bike shop on Tong Road, Whingate junction end , Called Stubb's ( Stubbsies) , which i think is now ADM there was also the one on Lowtown Pudsey, Called Top Gear. remember them two well Weenie

jim

Post by jim »

I remember a bike shop around 1950 on Lower Wortley Road between the Co-op and the school.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Not exactly Leeds but a trip out. All Terrain Cycle's shop in Salts Mill. Coffee+ bun in the many cafes.Nice ride on canal towpath from Kirkstall.    

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

There were two in Morley. George Stevens, at the junction of Fountain Street and King Street, he also sold paraffin, and in the fifties charged up wireless accumulators. He hadn't got much of a workshop.The other was John Hutchins on Chapel Hill, he had (for the time) a state of the art workshop and could do most things connected with bikes. I believe he was a former competition cyclist.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Brings back lots of memories:My first bike was from a shop in Harehills, I think, which was stuffed with BMXs and kids' bikes. I recall bikes right up to the high ceiling on racks and chains hung from the roof. No idea where it was though, unfortunately.My first "mountain bike" was from Watson Cairns and I bought bike and skateboard parts and tools from then fairly often over the years.I also bought from the shop where Nando's is now. There was a bike shop in Rawdon on Harrogate Road, but I'm not sure it lasted long. It mainly seemed to sell the cheaper bikes and parts.Then there's Dave Raynor further out from Leeds, on the corner with Bayton lane, but I can't recall how long that's been there. I saw it the other day but have a feeling it may have been there some time.There's also a "Triathlon Shop" in Horsforth but I'm not sure what they stock in the way of bikes and I think there may be a bike shop near Horsforth station too, on the Cookridge side of the tracks, oposite the new funeral place.