Famous Sons of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

Don't think this one is covered anywhere else on the site ( sorry if it is ) but does anyone know of any places in the city where famous people were born or lived.Peter O'Toole lived from an early age at a house on Dewsbury Terrace just off Dewsbury Road, which is now demolished but would have been roughly where the grass is opposite The Spinning Wheel Club on Dewsbury Road, and I once heard Ernie Wise in an interview say he was born in a house on Oxford St ( maybe Oxley St ) off of Pontefract Lane LS9ps Kaiser Chiefs don't count.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Emma Peel, AKA, Dianna Rigg was born in Pudsey. As was William gaunt!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Jake Thackray - not sure where he was born in Leeds, but he taught at Intake school.
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

This Loiner was born in the front bedroom in Rillbank View near burley road way back in 1958, there are loads and loads of famous loiners out there, i can name a few Jimmy saville, marion ryan, paul and barry ryan, barry cryer, alan bennet, ernie wise, jack shepherd, john craven, nel mcandrew, paul madeley, kevin hector, stuart mcall, gabby logan, liz dawn, brian mosely to name just a few, any more for anymore!!

simonm

Post by simonm »

I thought Alan Bennet was born in Bradford?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Hi Scandy BramleyJake Thakray lived at Old Oak close which I think is near west parkbut I'm almost certain he was born at clifford N.Yorks.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Damien Hirst was probably born in Leeds, he certainly attended Allerton Grange School in Moortown as did David Batty. Speaking of football Alan Smith lived (probably still lives) in Rothwell. That trio though are probably on a par with the Kaiser chiefs.Paul Madlely grew up on Barkley Road off Dewsbury Road in Beeston (my mother knew him and a brother).
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

TABBYCAT wrote: Hi Scandy BramleyJake Thakray lived at Old Oak close which I think is near west parkbut I'm almost certain he was born at clifford N.Yorks. Ay-oop T.C. Wikopedia says Jake was born in Leeds and I remember him doing a narration on the old "Braden's Beat" t.v. show (b&w telly - showing me age), about him growing up in Leeds."Soot blacked walls and pigeon calls, that sounded like an old man's cough".R.I.P. Jake.
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

password

Post by password »

Now then fellow Loiners... Peter O'toole, I was reliably informed by a former Yorkshire and England cricketer, was born in sunny Hunslet. Peter is a huge Yorkshire cricket fan and when the two met on a match day down at Lords (Peter apparently wearing a scruffyish Yorkshire top) talk quickly turned to God's own county, and Peter's early childhood growing up in Hunslet's filthy streets. I've been told that some of his biographers give his birth place as somewhere in Ireland and some give it as Leeds, but the story as it was told to me(albeit here'say) left the distinct impression he was born and brought up here. And even though he smokes his tabs through a fancy cigarette holder, he's still a true Leeds lad at heart.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

simonm wrote: I thought Alan Bennet was born in Bradford? I hope Alan Bennett (Armley born and bred) doesn't read this - he'd have your guts for garters!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.