Famous Sons of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

stutterdog wrote: Thanks for this Steve. He certainly had life full of pain and injury and was an example to all of us. I agree,a very brave chap.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Not so famous(perhaps) son....Paul Luty,wrestler turned actor who usually played burly landlord types.Remember him in the "Love thy Neighbour" tv comedy series.They wouldn't get away with it now and I doubt we will see re-runs ! Was also a character actor in several other programmes in the 70's.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks for reminding me of Paul Luty, who I came across regularly in some areas of the Leeds live music scene I was involved in during the 1970s and 80s. A very pleasant man to talk to. I hadn't been aware that he died in 1990.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

jim wrote: Thanks for reminding me of Paul Luty, who I came across regularly in some areas of the Leeds live music scene I was involved in during the 1970s and 80s. A very pleasant man to talk to. I hadn't been aware that he died in 1990. I too came across Paul Luty now and again in the 70's. Usually when I was driving the last no 6 Pudsey -Halton Moor bus. He would usually get on at the Corn Exchange stop or sometimes on York Rd.This jouney was usually a bit rowdy as you can imagine. He was always pleasant and cheerful and as he asked for his fare he would say in a low voice,"If anyone refuses to pay or gives you any trouble, give us a shout OK?" No-one ever did when he was on board and I was grateful for that!I think I saw him in one of the Porridge films at the back of the bar in the P.O's club? A very nice chap!    
ex-Armley lad

jdbythesea

Re: Famous Sons of Leeds

Post by jdbythesea »

Yesterday, I was saddened to learn of the passing of one of our most famous sporting sons - Brian Close. Not only was he an extremely gifted cricketer with both bat and ball but he was also a shrewd tactician in his role as captain of Yorkshire and England. He was as tough as they make 'em (remember him standing up to Michael Holding and Andy Roberts back in the 70s?). Also as a coach he was up there with the best. When he moved on to Somerset he helped develop that county from a sleepy second-rater to a formidable team to be reckoned with. I'm sure that Ian Botham would not have been the player he became if not for the encouragement he received from him. Both of them were also pretty good at football too!
Yorkshire have the Championship sewn up already this season and it would be fitting for it to be dedicated to Brian Close - a true sportsman and son of the county.

jdbythesea

Re: Famous Sons of Leeds

Post by jdbythesea »

Attended by luminaries from the cricket world, a service of Thanksgiving for Brian Close was held last Wednesday at St Chad's, Headingley. A private family cremation followed.
He was a boyhood hero of mine and I doubt that we'll see talent such as his for a long time.

j.c.d.

Steve Parkin

Post by j.c.d. »

Maybe not so well known at the moment to many living in Leeds but I would think that Steve Parkin the Boss of Clipper Logistics will certainly be in the near future, certainly if as is the rumour that he is going to make a bid to buy leeds United.
Steve who I am pleased to say is a friend of mine is an ex. miner, an East leeds lad who in the early 1990s bought a lorry and began collections and deliveries , he then expanded his business to include, Storage and repackaging for various company's. nowadays his firm Clipper employs nearly 3,000 people, many in leeds and the surrounding areas. Last year he was rated number 16 in the top 100 entrepreneurs in the U. K. On a personal level I can say he is a very down to earth Yorkshire lad who has got to where he is today by hard graft, yes possibly some luck and above all the ability to get on with other folks, either in business or socially.

j.c.d.

Re:

Post by j.c.d. »

stutterdog wrote:jim wrote: Thanks for reminding me of Paul Luty, who I came across regularly in some areas of the Leeds live music scene I was involved in during the 1970s and 80s. A very pleasant man to talk to. I hadn't been aware that he died in 1990. I too came across Paul Luty now and again in the 70's. Usually when I was driving the last no 6 Pudsey -Halton Moor bus. He would usually get on at the Corn Exchange stop or sometimes on York Rd.This jouney was usually a bit rowdy as you can imagine. He was always pleasant and cheerful and as he asked for his fare he would say in a low voice,"If anyone refuses to pay or gives you any trouble, give us a shout OK?" No-one ever did when he was on board and I was grateful for that!I think I saw him in one of the Porridge films at the back of the bar in the P.O's club? A very nice chap!    
Have just noticed this item on Paul Luty.

Yes he was a very nice lad, very gentle in his ways for some one who earned his living as a wrestler and a bouncer. his name incidentally was Graham but I think he used Paul as it sounded better.

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Scandy Bramley"]My ex wife's sister went out with Jeff Christie of "Yellow River" fame.Now, he allus said he was from Harrogate - but a mate of mine sez Jeff is a Loiner....anyone confirm this?[/quote

Just spent a great hour or so looking through the 30 pages of Famous Leeds folks.
As regards Jeff Christie i can confirn that he was born in Moortown, I worked with Jeff in the 1960s for a carpet firm.his Band was in those days "The Tremmers" His Father Mick had a Fish and Chip Shop in Merrion Strreet.
Last edited by volvojack on Sat 18 Feb, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

Middleton Sheriff wrote:I have read through the thread and would like to add,Jack Higgins author, real name Harry Patterson, taught at Leeds Poly and I think went to Roundhay school as a lad. Is he a true loiner?Also I remember my elder brother talking of a group formed at Leeds Uni when he was there i.e. mid sixties, group named Procul Harum. Does anyone know if they are from Leeds?Captain Oates of the polar expeditions of Robert Falcon Scott apparently lived in a large house that stood in what is now Meanwood Park. Was he a loiner?Jimmy Moran who was a professional wrestler, stage name Gargantua.Charlie Peace, was he not a loiner?

Captain Oates was born in London and I believe spent some time in Leeds but went to Eton College.