Famous Sons of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Actor jack SheppardComedian Ernie WisePeter O'Toole was raised in HunsletKeith Waterhouse also HunsletNell McAndrew
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

Scarlet_Diva wrote: Ian R P wrote: ps Kaiser Chiefs don't count. Sorry for bumpin' in - But can I ask why T'Chiefs don't count? I was only joking, they just seem to be everywhere at the moment.I stood in the mud at Harewood last week watching 'em. I think 3 of em are from Menston (which is technically Bradford) and Peanut is from Swillington.What about other Leeds Bands/Singers past and present?Pigeon Detectives (Rothwell), Utah Saints (Lofthouse), Cribs (Wakey - Leeds Suburb?), Wedding Present, Cud, Gang of Four, Soft Cell (all Leeds Uni), Smokie (possibly Bradford), Corinne boring Rae, Scary Spice and apparently Frankie Vaughn (Whooooo!)

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

Scandy Bramley wrote: Patrick Stewart (Luc Picard of Star Trek fame!)...I'm still surprised nobody has replied to my Jane Tomlinson nomination on this thread :-S That courageous lady should have a statue built to honour her on City Square to replace the Black Prince, as she is the epitomy of Leeds (and Yorkshire) doggedness and grit. Here, Here.

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

Years ago I read a biography of Jimmy Savile and I'm sure it said he was actually born in the north east and his parents moved to Leeds when he was a few weeks old. Marco Pierre White is another Loiner.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Ian R P wrote: Scarlet_Diva wrote: Ian R P wrote: ps Kaiser Chiefs don't count. Sorry for bumpin' in - But can I ask why T'Chiefs don't count? I was only joking, they just seem to be everywhere at the moment.I stood in the mud at Harewood last week watching 'em. I think 3 of em are from Menston (which is technically Bradford) and Peanut is from Swillington.What about other Leeds Bands/Singers past and present?Pigeon Detectives (Rothwell), Utah Saints (Lofthouse), Cribs (Wakey - Leeds Suburb?), Wedding Present, Cud, Gang of Four, Soft Cell (all Leeds Uni), Smokie (possibly Bradford), Corinne boring Rae, Scary Spice and apparently Frankie Vaughn (Whooooo!) The wonderful "Mekons" and their offshoot band, "The Three Johns", Christie (as I mentioned above), Paul and Barry Ryan - and a lad I know from a United forum plays in the "Voltz" who are excellent and one to watch!P.S. Smokie were Bratfud!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

big s

Post by big s »

scandy bramley,i thought it was only me who liked the mekons.i saw them in the 70s at the F club in leeds.their "im lost,in space" really good.
at least until the world stops going round.

Scarlet_Diva

Post by Scarlet_Diva »

Ian R P wrote: I was only joking, they just seem to be everywhere at the moment.I stood in the mud at Harewood last week watching 'em. I think 3 of em are from Menston (which is technically Bradford) and Peanut is from Swillington.What about other Leeds Bands/Singers past and present?Pigeon Detectives (Rothwell), Utah Saints (Lofthouse), Cribs (Wakey - Leeds Suburb?), Wedding Present, Cud, Gang of Four, Soft Cell (all Leeds Uni), Smokie (possibly Bradford), Corinne boring Rae, Scary Spice and apparently Frankie Vaughn (Whooooo!) ahh ok. sorry. I know its anoying atm. Back in 2005 it was 1.000 times better. Good Old Glasto days I went to Leeds for NYE and nobody seemed to like the Chiefs. I was very surprised about that. I heard that Simon/Nick and Peanut are from Menstonricky is from the ilkley and Whitey from SwillingtonOf course you did Leeds Wireless. Well I bought a ticket as well. but coz of the bad weather over here they cancelled my flight and my train back home so I spent a nice weekend at the airport again instead of rocking harewood house with my mates. *hmpf*
i made a shrine to whine.....

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

Hi,I first saw them at that place in granary wharf supporting 'the ordinary boys'. No one took any notice but i'd already heard a couple of there songs and I thought they were ok, still do.There are loads of good bands around Leeds at the moment, best compiled on that 'Dance to the radio, compilation.My own personnal favourites are 'Lodger'.Just about remember The Mekons, though they were a bit before my time. I'm sure I once saw The 3 Johns on The Tube.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Big S and Ian - Mekons were just fab! I had most of their stuff on vinyl, until a flood in my cellar destroyed my 40 years collection of LP's and singles, a year ago! :-( Saw them a few times around Europe and always an excellent show.The 3 Johns is more personal...as when I was living in Amsterdam, my band at the time were asked to play as opening band when they were 2nd on the bill to Nick Cave's Bad Seeds, at the Paradiso venue! Opening bands only got a cubbyhole for a dressing room and three free beer tokens per band member - but when Langton found out I was a Loiner he invited us to share their dressing room and "perks": huge fridge full of beer, plus spirits, decent sarnies, showers and various groupies! Top lads and it was a night to remember, as Cave watched all our show and invited us to support the Bad Seeds in Arnhem the following night, as he really liked us!But that is another story and nowt to do wi' Leeds sons (except for my connection!)....
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.