The Caspar block of flats.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Peter.shaw

Re: The Caspar block of flats.

Post by Peter.shaw »

Any more news on these buildings?

Moved away from leeds a number of years ago but im now intrigued to see what state its is in x

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

One that Leodian may like to follow up on as he does seem to be in that vicinity, on foot, regularly. All I can say from being driven past on the inner ring road a few times recently is that they are still there. A ggogle search also suggests they have been re-named "North Apartments" and at least one is occupied as it appears to be being advertised as a B&B http://www.bedandbreakfasts.co.uk/prope ... bkg2179456 . That at least one is being used commercially is a long way from the CASPAR ethos (City Accommodation for Single Persons at Affordable Rents)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Peter and tyke bhoy :).

I still do go to the site occasionally but I've not taken photos since those I posted on October 28 2016 as every time I've been there have always been vehicles blocking good views! Where the scaffolded structure is in those photos is now seems to be a block of 'apartments' and the original (or most?) Casper block is still there after renovation work but almost hidden from view. The work on the site does though seem to have been taking ages!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are 3 views of the Caspar apartments that I took from North Street on April 4 2018. The first shows the now possibly (?) completed new section that was scaffolding in the photos I took on October 25 2016 and posted on October 28 2016. The first and third views have the university students CLV apartments building in the rear right.
CasparApartmentsNorthStreetLeedsApr042018(1)..jpg
CasparApartmentsNorthStreetLeedsApr042018(1)..jpg (89.95 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
CasparApartmentsNorthStreetLeedsApr042018(2)..jpg
CasparApartmentsNorthStreetLeedsApr042018(2)..jpg (103.65 KiB) Viewed 3307 times
CasparApartmentsNorthStreetLeedsApr042018(3)..jpg
CasparApartmentsNorthStreetLeedsApr042018(3)..jpg (120.95 KiB) Viewed 3307 times

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I was never aware of these as on the few times i have visited Leeds it seems to be a mass of Flats or Offices. Just where are Caspar Apartments ? as when i worked down North St. 1950s there was not a blade of grass to be seen except for Lovell Park on the Left hand side but on the Pictures there are even what look like Daffodils.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I am glad you mentioned daffodils to me there the only nice thing in the photograph.Looks like it was built at the time of the cold war.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

volvojack wrote:I was never aware of these as on the few times i have visited Leeds it seems to be a mass of Flats or Offices. Just where are Caspar Apartments ? as when i worked down North St. 1950s there was not a blade of grass to be seen except for Lovell Park on the Left hand side but on the Pictures there are even what look like Daffodils.
Hiya Jack :).

Coming away from Leeds on North Street the Caspar site is immediately after the old dispensary (what remains of Back Brunswick Street runs between the two). There is then a road (seen in the third photo that I posted April 5th) that runs into the Inner Ring Road and Lovell Park is immediately next on North Street.

Talking of Lovell Park an elderly lady I know always calls it the 'Jews Park' but in a friendly way.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I always called it the Jews Park my mother always called it that.It stems from a time when a large Jewish population lived in and around North Street.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I notice Leodian responded while I composed an offline respond. It adds little to Leodian's post but anyway.

Hi Jack,
The daffs Tilly commented on are in the far South Eastern corner of Lovell Park adjacent to North Street. In the same photo you can just see a bit of road which is the anti-clockwise slip road from North Street onto the East bound Inner Ring Road (A58m just before it become A64M and then plain A64) and a lamppost . The Other two photos are the inside of just over a semi circle of flats that lie within the almost full circle slip road. The flats could not be a full circle because the old Dispensary building is in the way.

Hardly cold war Tilly they were put up in 2000. To keep construction costs down so they could be cheap rentals they were pre-fabs and as such were finished in about 8 months.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tilly

Post by tilly »

I wonder how log it will be before they demolish them they dont fit in with the new buildings they are throwing up.