Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
harrym1byt

Re: Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Post by harrym1byt »

iansmithofotley wrote:
Wed 31 Dec, 2014 11:23 pm
Our D.S. was David Harry Clarkson. David ended up as a Ch. Supt. and he was in charge of Holbeck Division when I was an inspector there in 1988. I understand that David has been quite ill recently and has returned to live in the Leeds area.
Ian
Was that Dave Clarkson who lived at Garforth?

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

harrym1byt wrote:
Tue 18 Aug, 2020 9:12 pm
iansmithofotley wrote:
Wed 31 Dec, 2014 11:23 pm
Our D.S. was David Harry Clarkson. David ended up as a Ch. Supt. and he was in charge of Holbeck Division when I was an inspector there in 1988. I understand that David has been quite ill recently and has returned to live in the Leeds area.
Ian
Was that Dave Clarkson who lived at Garforth?
A bit more research suggests it was.

He lived just around the corner from where I live and a bit of a family friend. He spent his final years sadly in a mobility scooter and passed away in 2015.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

When I first worked with David Harry Clarkson, in the C.I.D. at Ireland Wood Police Station in 1967, he lived at Templenewsam, with his wife Dorothy and their family. At that time, he owned some land in Garforth, which I think he bought as an investment with a view to future development but there were problems with planning permission. He also owned a shop in Garforth, which I think was managed by Dorothy.

After David’s retirement from the Police Force around the early 1990's, he moved out to the Ryedale area of Yorkshire, near to Malton, and got involved in local politics. Eventually, David suffered from Motor Neuron Disease and returned to the Leeds/Garforth area, but I don’t know when this was as I lost touch with him.

David died on 17th October 2015 aged 76 years. His wife, Dorothy, died recently on 23rd July 2020 aged 82 years.

I have great memories of working with David and he was great fun to work with. There was never a dull moment due to his charismatic personality and style. He also ‘led from the front’ and was an inspirational leader. I learned a great deal from him.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

The shop, which is still there, I think I am correct in suggesting it is 'Dorothy Annes' on Main St Garforth. I also think I am correct in suggesting he ended up living in a large house on Church Lane, Garforth. A really nice guy.