Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
LucasC

Re: Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Post by LucasC »

Dear Ian,

Thank you so much for the information above! We have pictures of Ian at the Wind Works and pictures, helmets and badges from his time at the Force.

Ian deeply impacted our lives with the stories you mentioned above.

We would love to hear more, as it sounds you would too!

My mum was Ian’s fiancé, we would love to hear from you personally.

If you would like to pass us your contact details, we would have great pleasure in filling in the gaps of Ian’s legacy!!

You can Contact us on [email protected]

The only reason I created this account (as we live in Essex and have no connection to Leeds) is to bring closure to everyone’s stories about dear Ian!

Best,

LucasC

Post by LucasC »

Dear Ian,

Thank you so much for the information above! We have pictures of Ian at the Wind Works and pictures, helmets and badges from his time at the Force.

Ian deeply impacted our lives with the stories you mentioned above.

We would love to hear more, as it sounds you would too!

My mum was Ian’s fiancé, we would love to hear from you personally.

If you would like to pass us your contact details, we would have great pleasure in filling in the gaps of Ian’s legacy!!

You can Contact us on [email protected]

The only reason I created this account (as we live in Essex and have no connection to Leeds) is to bring closure to everyone’s stories about dear Ian!

Best,

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi LucasC,

I have sent you an Email message.

Ian

Braggcreek

Post by Braggcreek »

iansmithofotley wrote:
Mon 29 Dec, 2014 9:36 pm
Hi Brian,

I am fairly sure that Eric Walker is the only one who is still with us. I know that Derrick Holmes died in 1972 but I don't have dates for Joe Hepton and Geoff Hanson. The thing about Geoff's 'spoonerisms' is that they were not just 'one off's' - he said the same things (and others) all of the time in different situations and infront of different people.

I don't know what happened to Val. I think that I am right in saying that she was very seriously injured in a traffic accident, and nearly died, but I it was probably before your transfer to the R.U.C. If you join http://www.narpowestyorkshire.co.uk/ and look at the Leeds Section/Photographs there is a 1973 photograph of Val with Dave Maurie, Dave Musgrove, Jim Parrott and Roger Anderson. There are other photographs of Len Bradley, Arnold Pirie, Brian Barker and Geoff Hanson who were all at Upper Wortley PS C.I.D. at that time.

I am sorry to procrastinate (but it is thirty five years since I last saw you) and I don't want to bore any other members of the group. I believe that this new website (it changed recently) has facilities for private messages if required.

Best wishes.

Ian

Braggcreek

Post by Braggcreek »

I have just located this website. My father was Superintendent Derrick Holmes (Big Red), I do remember many of those policemen in your email. Geoff Hanson, David Noble, Len Bradley, Frank Midgeley. I often think back tho those times of policing. My father actually passed away in 1983.

jma

Post by jma »

I remember Big Red very well but I'm surprised to read that his name was Derrick rather than Derek. We live and learn

iansmithofotley

Hi Braggcreek,

I am sorry that I got your dad's year of death wrong. It was a typing error - I got the information from a NARPO website and I confused the date of his retirement in 1972 with the date of his death in 1983 (aged 61 years). I noticed that he would have been 100 years old this month. I didn't realise that he was only aged 50 years when he retired. I remember Derrick living near to Frank Midgley in the Kirkwoods at Cookridge, and at that time I lived close by, with my parents, in the Moseley Woods. I never actually worked with your dad but Frank Midgley was the head of the C.I.D. when I first became a detective in 1967 and I think your dad was a Sub Divisional D.C.I. but I can't remember where. Frank also retired in 1972 and he died in 2002, aged 79 years.

Ian

jma

Post by jma »

Big Red was already a superintendent when I knew him: I was in Dewsbury Road plain clothes when there was an incident at Upper Wortley in the Wythers when a panda car was rolled onto its roof and some uncomplimentary remarks about Mick Grubb were painted on a wall. Some of us went over to there to assist with the inquiries. At that time, quite soon after the introduction of unit beat policing, there were lots of superintendents. David "Black Sam" Noble was chief superintendent and Ted Smith was his deputy. The sub-divisional superintendent at Dewsbury Road was Jim Hobson and his deputy was "Tiger" Timms. (I think his first name might have been Tony.)

iansmithofotley

Hi Mick,

When I joined in 1965, there were no Divisional Chief Superintendents. Each of the Divisions - Central (Millgarth), West (Upper Wortley), North West (Ireland Wood), North East (Chapeltown), East (Gipton) and South (Dewsbury Road), had a Superintendent in charge. There was also a Uniform Chief Inspector and a Detective Chief Inspector - there were five Uniform Inspectors (one for each shift plus a spare) and no Divisional Detective Inspectors. Outside of the Divisions, such as at Force Headquarters, there were all ranks and in various Squads such as the Force Crime Squad and Regional Crime Squad, there were some Detective Inspectors. As you say, in 1968, when Unit Beat Policing was introduced (and there was also an increase in Force Establishment numbers), 'Jumbo Divisions' were established - A (Ireland Wood/Millgarth), B (Chapeltown/Gipton), C (Dewsbury Road/Upper Wortley) and each of the new Divisions got a Chief Superintendent and the head of the C.I.D. became a Detective Chief Superintendent (Denis Hoban) with a Deputy of Detective Superintendent (Jim Fryer). There were many promotions at this time in all ranks and in all departments. Anthony (Tiger) Timms died in December 2020, aged 95 years. I can remember him as a Superintendent at Dewsbury Road Police Station but his background was previously in Training.

Ian

jma

Post by jma »

From my copy of The Leeds Police
The largest number of promotions in the history of Leeds Were made in this period (ie late 1967/early 1968 at the start of unit beat policing) one assistant chief constable, five chief superintendents, 13 superintendents, 14 chief inspectors, a woman chief inspector, 22 inspectors, three women inspectors, 40 sergeants and and two women sergeants.
A quick addition suggests 101.

By 1 May 1968 when Jim Angus returned to Leeds on appointment as Chief Constable
The Leeds force at this time was 228 understrength ...
I've a feeling I may have posted this information before