Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jim

Re: Former West Yorks Police Officer's collar numbers

Post by jim »

Anyone got any knowledge of a distant relative of mine, (Richard?) Caukwell, or of an old schoolfriend, Patrick William "Pat" Johnson? Both long serving police officers.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jim,

So far as relates to Richard Cawkwell, I do not know him. I know that there was an Inspector Richard Cawkwell working in the Leeds area in 2011 (from Google).

I do know Pat Johnson, but not from Police operational duties. Pat was a Police Federation Rep. for many years (1975 - 86) and he also served on the National Police Federation Executive Committee. He joined the West Riding Constabulary in 1957 and retired in 1989 as a sergeant. He gave me some help when I needed it over a disciplinary matter in 1978.

I think that Pat lives at Ilkley nowadays. He has a Linkedin Page and also a Facebook Page if you want further information. Pat was originally from Leeds and went to West Leeds High School before joining the Police Force. I haven’t seen him for over 30 years.

Ian

jim

Post by jim »

Many thanks Ian.

AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Hi Jetwalking,

Not sure if you have found PS Hawcroft’s collar number yet, I am his Son.

If not it was 314, as he wrote it in his City of Bradford helmet

jma

Post by jma »

AndrewH wrote:
Thu 02 Feb, 2023 10:32 am
Hi Jetwalking,

Not sure if you have found PS Hawcroft’s collar number yet, I am his Son.

If not it was 314, as he wrote it in his City of Bradford helmet
AndrewH

Welcome to S/L

I did not know your late father but I went on a course with Jim Newsham who had been with your brave father when he had been murdered, which devastated him

I hope all is going well with you, in the circumstances.

mtimms

Post by mtimms »

:?: Hi
I have stumbled across this as I’m trying to find information about my Grandad when he was in the police, he was Anthony/Tony “Tiger” Timms. I would love to hear how he got his nickname “Tiger Timms”!!
Thanks

mtimms

Post by mtimms »

iansmithofotley wrote:
Tue 01 Mar, 2022 11:12 pm
Hi Mick,

When I joined in 1965, there were no Divisional Chief Superintendents. Each of the Divisions - Central (Millgarth), West (Upper Wortley), North West (Ireland Wood), North East (Chapeltown), East (Gipton) and South (Dewsbury Road), had a Superintendent in charge. There was also a Uniform Chief Inspector and a Detective Chief Inspector - there were five Uniform Inspectors (one for each shift plus a spare) and no Divisional Detective Inspectors. Outside of the Divisions, such as at Force Headquarters, there were all ranks and in various Squads such as the Force Crime Squad and Regional Crime Squad, there were some Detective Inspectors. As you say, in 1968, when Unit Beat Policing was introduced (and there was also an increase in Force Establishment numbers), 'Jumbo Divisions' were established - A (Ireland Wood/Millgarth), B (Chapeltown/Gipton), C (Dewsbury Road/Upper Wortley) and each of the new Divisions got a Chief Superintendent and the head of the C.I.D. became a Detective Chief Superintendent (Denis Hoban) with a Deputy of Detective Superintendent (Jim Fryer). There were many promotions at this time in all ranks and in all departments. Anthony (Tiger) Timms died in December 2020, aged 95 years. I can remember him as a Superintendent at Dewsbury Road Police Station but his background was previously in Training.

Ian
Ian you are correct my grandad Anthony “Tiger” Timms passed away due to covid on Dec 2020 at the grand age of 95! If it hadn’t of been for covid I’m sure he’d still be here now, he was made of strong stuff!! I know he was deputy commandant at Harrogate police training ground and was a chief superintendent when he retired around 1980.

jim

Post by jim »

Derivation of "Tiger" Timms was probably due to the cartoon character originally in a Daily Mirror (1914) strip cartoon, later transferring to one or other of the later children's comics called - Tiger Tim! One of the comics was actually named for Tiger Tim. Character certainly still around in the 1960s, and probably much later. Google "tiger tim comic" for further info.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Mick,

I'm sorry but I can't help regarding how your grandad got his nickname. Jim's suggestion is probably the correct answer to your question.

Ian

jma

Post by jma »

https://yourharrogate.co.uk/news/200-ho ... -go-ahead/#

By coincidence, I see that the Pannal Ash sitei is currently at the centre of a controversial planning application

=========================================================

I've tried to add some memories about Anthony Timms but the forum does not seem to be working reliably. I'll wait till it is (I keep getting a message saying "Fatal error")

=========================================================================
jma wrote:
Wed 07 Sep, 2016 10:06 pm
Unless I've confused him with someone else, I think that Inspector Camidge was the original inspector i/c the Juvenile Bureau when it was formed in November 1971 (I got that date but not his name from the history book.)

That was significant for me because I had investigated a case of robbery (which in legal terms means theft accompanied or preceded by threats or violence) and also GBH by a gang of juveniles. The newly-established Juvenile Bureau decided on cautions, which were much rarer in those far-off days, although the creation of that department showed which way policy was moving.

Anyway, our superintendent, whose nickname "Tiger" wasn't because he was particularly ferocious, was so disturbed by the decision that he went straight down to Brotherton House to make representations to Brian Molloy, the assistant chief constable. I think that this file was the first one to have gone through the bureau so it was a bit of a landmark case and the decision was that the cautions would be given. No point setting up a new unit and immediately undermining it. At least one member of the same gang was convicted in connection with a very serious offence just a few years later, which led to some "I told you so" type comments but looking back, I can't see that a prosecution rather than a caution would have made any difference to what eventually happened.
viewtopic.php?p=116021&sid=64cb09daf8e5 ... 36#p116021