Rosebank Pics

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Sorry simon m!I seem to have lost what I was writing to you!Start again! I can't remember a laundry being there (corner of St.John's Rd and B/vue Rd) but before the police 'bendum and mendum' garage,the building was known as 'Messrs. Arthur and company',a clothing manufacturers. (Well, laundry IS mucky clothing innit?). Some gorgeous talent worked there,too! They used to troop down those very steps in the previous pix!Happy drool days!arry awk

simonm

Post by simonm »

Thats right, don't know why I thought laundry, The Name Morris rings the bell now. There was a mechanic there that remembered the tailoring shop. Sorry.I used to wonder, when driving / walking down BV rd what used to be on the left hand side (the steep hill, overlooking Kirkstall / Burley rd's. Thanks to your photo's I now know!! It's all been rebuilt now with lots of housing projects, all the way up Belle Vue rd
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi Si!Thankx for that input. Mebbe the name 'Morris' crops up cos the cops used MORRIS MINORS and Minis as Panda Cars!Bit different now with their Volvos and Beamers!You can just see those new houses on the latest pic of the missus!Must go now. Shopping-Yuk!Mebbe back laterarry

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

I sincerely HOPE the name "morris" never crops up again, regarding Leeds United. Slightly back on topic, I guess SimonM will now have guessed that 'Arry is my dad! :-) Or maybe not, as SimonM is from Armley and they are a bit puddled down them parts! :-) I'm dubiously waiting for him (SimonM) to post the pic of me in short kecks on the United forum I run! ;-)Why do parents ALWAYS have to embarrass you - even when you are in your 50's? :-)'Arrydad (tee hee!) - heres a shot from the bombed houses on BV road, looking down on Rosebank View:
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi scandy-laddo!Don't think Simon will like being referred to as an 'Armla' Square-e-yad'. Mine stew(!) I, lived at the bottom of Armley Rd and born in St Marys,Hill Top,so that probably meks me one too!Now abt that last posting. It's actually a 4 storey ,fronting on Rosebank View. a back to back which had two stories behind on Rosebank Road !Not Bellevue Rd. The actual pic was much later when they(LCC) could afford the bricks and petrol for the mixer!Now,a humorous recollection on the Belle Vue Rd bomb damage, (Yes I WAS around then!).Next to the house that was totally demolished,an old chap was fast asleep in bed when the same bomb blewout the front wall of the house exposing his bedroom leaving the foot of the bed hanging over the Road! He was still asleep when the ARP Rescue service got to him! Some rather choice comments were recorded due to them disturbing his beauty sleep!No gratitude,some fowk!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Well well well, small world, sorry Bill went straight over my head who "Arry" is. Arry, Many thanks for all the help you've been doing for me lately. Much appreciated, got a few good contacts from the stuff you've sent through! Anyway, back on topic. When I mentioned the new houses in an earlier post, I wasn't refering to the ones your good lady is stood in front of, but much further down BV Rd. For a long time there was nowt but a steep hill there, closer to the bottom of the Rd. Now there are a myriad of flats and new accomodation, either nearing completion or newly built.. I always wondered what the stone structures were set into the hillside when looking up from Park Lane (the bit that joins onto Burley Rd). From your descriptions and pictures I see what it all was now. cheers.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Yer welcome, Si!Still trying a certain 'avenue' 4u!I did 'twig' afterwards that you meant lower down onBVRd and Park Ln. Ta!Yes, We travel the 49 'purple' line bus from Leeds toBramla' nearly every week. The area looks straight out of 'Flash Gordon' lately! Can't say I like it at all. Hope the students will, when they move in. My Dad was a postman (GPO Issue!) in the 30's 40's and 50's, (60's too, but 'indoors' and not a 'foot soldier' anymore).reckoned he knew every street and house in Leeds! Wonder what he'd make of it all ? They've even pinched his old Head Office in City Square now! Still a few of his old boozers left to get his bearings I suppose!Yes,'Scandylad' could have told me his clan connection first!I thought the Rosebanks situ was identical to my own! It was!Must go nowarry awk

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Reet - some pics taken by Arry on a recent trip up to the Memorial Green (I'll be glad when the old sodpot learns how to "host and post! LOL!)....the comments under the pics are Arry's.1: SimonM's old sweat shop on Bellevue Rd!2: This is the Rosebank Millennium Green Information board.Couldn't get a good focus but it might enlarge to be able to read it.3: You can see the remains of the steps and 'Hollow' shown on my previous b/w photos.The old house at the very top is on Bellevue Rd and backs onto Rosebank Rd. Ginnel at the side.(I'll post the others in a new post - not sure how many pix per post allowed? Scandy)
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

More pix from Arry and his comments under them!4: Rosebanks marker stonec/w graffiti 'tag'!5: Memorial Stone to commemorate the citizens of the Rosebanks area who lost their lives in the Blitz in 19416: Vegetation where 'our 'ouse was! No 4 Rosebank View. Postman can't findthe letterbox!(Reet Arry - hope that's to yer satisfaction? Great pics and so funny to see #4 all green. I just remember the street as being so black and dismal and have hardly any memories of staying at Gran and Grandad's there. Cept the toilets were down the street! Was so much better visiting when they moved to Saxton Gdns.New thread on Saxton Gdns, perhaps ? :-O )

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Good on yer Owwa Kid!Ta 4 those! Come out well haven't they?Saxton Gardens??? What's to say abt THEM?Good housing and very warm. Shame abt thecommunal S(t)ink 'chutes though! It was murder when at least 7 stories of flats were tipping cabbage watter down the sink hole!Cheersn'tanks agen! Arrydad!