Rosebank Pics

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
simonm

Post by simonm »

Ah, It's all clear where exactly you were on about now. For some reason I always assumed it was much further down Bell Vue Rd. Used to walk down those steps all the time to get through to woodlsy Rd. Those stone name plaques were not there when I was. gives a shudder seeing my old office (the one nearest the lamp post with the bin)Cheers Arry / Scandy
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

IMOR

Post by IMOR »

Good to see Rosebanks after hearing about it from the Countryside Agency crew some years back. I had a lot to do with various Millennium Greens around the country. If any of you are over Ilkley way drop by the Darwin Gardens Millennium Green near the moor.Brodrick was architect of nearby Wells House where Darwin stayed in 1859.Keep on hoeing folks!

munki

Post by munki »

As requested...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

AusthorpeWhite

Post by AusthorpeWhite »

munki wrote: More from arry...OK,This shows the bottom end of 'the View', and shows a smaller 'Hollow' but not much use for war games! (Too small) Another LAMP POST and a brilliant Tetley's (Sorry, Carlsberg) sign on the gable end of the 'Offy'The steps as I remember,were known as 'The 99 Steps' and led up to Bellevue Road. Actually,there was a similar long flight of steps further down by Irwin's Builder's yard leading up to Bellevue Road,also claiming to be the 99's! Somebody will put me right!     You're right there were some others. These were the steps that I knew as the 99 steps, they were further down - the top of them were opposite my street Victoria Terrace.

AusthorpeWhite

Post by AusthorpeWhite »

You're right there were some others. These were the steps that I knew as the 99 steps, they were further down - the top of them were opposite my street Victoria Terrace.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 7_68333072

AusthorpeWhite

Post by AusthorpeWhite »

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

I visit rosebank very often and I never knew there were houses there. It's such a shame that leeds has lotst most of its terraced housing, I dont care for all these modern thingy mi bobs mi sen and I'm only a young'un!!!Thanks for sharing t'pictures Arry!
I'll be back (arnie)

daver

Post by daver »

I think that the steps in the photograph are the ones that went from Westfield Road behind Burley Road schoolonto Rosebank View then another flight to an unmade road that then led to these steps that led onto Belle Vue Road hence 99 steps in all. The railings in the middle were double and the boys would slide down from top to bottom.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Thanx Austhorpe White and Mick !(is that an avatarof 'Gabby Hayes'? (Sorry!) Waggons Ho-o-oh!)Yes, a great shame about the demise of the terraces(Not Lufc's I hope?lol). Good to look back anyway but I don'tthink I'd relish trailing 'down the street' to empty the night bucketevery morning,or lugging buckets of cold water to flush the frozenloo in winter,again! (Winters were Definitely Colder then.I assureyou!Around 1955 Mum and Dad were moved to Saxton Gardensflats which were very warm and comfortable. Mum had severeArthritis so much better for her.Glad you liked the Rosebanks'Millennium photos, Brought back a few memories to me, Plus the inevitable throat lump!They made a really good job, by making a nice park whilst stillretaining the 'feel' of the terraces. Well worth a visit if you haven't been.The whole area was just a flytippers' paradise prior to the makeover. Hope the Chavs don't ruin it again (Like Woodhouse Moor, another of our recreation,'courting'(!) and play areas in the 30's and 40's) See also thread just marked 'Rosebanks'!Error,sorry!

zantar

Post by zantar »

I think the the steps shown in the photograph are the ones from Bellvue rd and go down through the rosebanks (close to where Brian Mosely lived) to Westfield rd , if my memory serves me rightopposite Hollis st , side of burley rd school, and a direlect church,which we used to rampage.message to Arry, I think we are from the same era.Did you know Harold who lived next to the "Hollow"?.We used to steal your "chumps"from the "middin"