Local Characters

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
book

Post by book »

I went to St George's Crypt once to visit, not as a vagrant, as a helper and the support for tramps was good but it was the only place they coul get a supper and shelter. I remember the clothes store thre and there were some good new clothes that the shops had donated. That was in the 70s, now they can tap into a lot more help.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

book wrote: I went to St George's Crypt once to visit, as a helper and the support for tramps was good but it was the only place they coul get a supper and shelter. That was in the 70s, now they can tap into a lot more help. From last info they still need help, voluntary, financial and clothing. Warm coates and jumpers etc winter. Mens socks + underpants (all sizes) 'all the time'.They're not high profile but quietly do good work for Leeds, family support and homeless.

Suvi

Post by Suvi »

the Monk, well there are 3 of them. Father, son and grandson, all in robes and I believe pastors with the coptic church. Saw one of them last week, so still very much aroundhaven't seen the guy who cleans windows of late, but remember the bus incident well, last saw him in the market in November 2010rat, isn't racist, he just isn't. orginally from Iceland, which he goes back to from time to time

book

Post by book »

Anyone remember the cowboy down WoodHouse street, he had a horse and I seem to remember he had a stagecoach at one time. Always dressed like a cowboy.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

book wrote: Anyone remember the cowboy down WoodHouse street, he had a horse and I seem to remember he had a stagecoach at one time. Always dressed like a cowboy. Book, have a look at this thread - Headingley/Meanwood Cowboy.His name, as I recollect, was (and may still be) Calvert. JD

book

Post by book »

Great, yes he was the one.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

stevief wrote: carrotol wrote: Does any one remember/know queer Barry (i'm not being nasty, it's what everyone called him, and he answered to it). He was around when my Mum was young and when I worked In William Hills he used to come in there. He sometimes used to pretend to walk a dog at the end of an empty lead. Lovely guy, came across as very camp, but God help anyone who took the [edited for content], he was a real tough nut Would that be Barry Womack(?)? He used to frequent various pubs on Tong Road.I heard a storyconcerning his fighting reputation.Apparently he fought and beat John Manuel,who used to be one of the hard men of Leeds.(This is proberbly third-hand info.and will be instantly be retracted if challenged!) I remember that, it was a lucky punch from Barry that put JM on his back. Barry was hard but JM was the harder of the 2. I think the argument was over Barry's political views at the time. JM was a good laugh if you got to know him. Anyone know if he's still around? He lived in the top Cedars, with his mum!!!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

BigFaker

Post by BigFaker »

Si wrote: I was in Natwest, Pudsey branch the other day, and there was a bloke with a bloody great parrot on his shoulder talking to a manager. I thought it must be the ale from the night before. He was wearing the top half of a jumper over his shoulders, and the parrot's leg was attached to his belt with a lanyard. When he left, everyone in the queue acted like it was the most normal thing in the world. He also had a stripe of fresh bird sh*t all down his back. Anyone else seen him, or was I hallucinating?CheersSi Just working through this thread and only got this far - I saw this bloke just a couple of months ago walking past the bus station opposite Mecca bingo.I seemed to be the only one perplexed by it though which I found strange!!

Si

Post by Si »

BigFaker wrote: Si wrote: I was in Natwest, Pudsey branch the other day, and there was a bloke with a bloody great parrot on his shoulder talking to a manager. I thought it must be the ale from the night before. He was wearing the top half of a jumper over his shoulders, and the parrot's leg was attached to his belt with a lanyard. When he left, everyone in the queue acted like it was the most normal thing in the world. He also had a stripe of fresh bird sh*t all down his back. Anyone else seen him, or was I hallucinating?CheersSi Just working through this thread and only got this far - I saw this bloke just a couple of months ago walking past the bus station opposite Mecca bingo.I seemed to be the only one perplexed by it though which I found strange!! I've seen him several times since in Otley market.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

We have a fella round our way called Paranoid Dave.He's in his mid 60's, small chap with dark hair in a kind of teddy boy cut, he's manic depressive, Schizophrenia and has other issues too. He used to be able to keep fairly calm and keep it together until he had a mild stroke and had to give up smoking and drinking (which he flouts still) since then he's a little unpredictable to say the least. He goes into town on a daily basis 7 days a week.He's often to be seen reading a book about monks or some similar spiritual/ buddhist theme. He can be quiet as a mouse reading his book, then all of a sudden he'll start looking round at no one in particular and launch into the loudest shouting and swearing tirade ever, expletives fill the air.The funny thing is no one seems to take any notice of it, I think everyone's used to him, even the bus drivers. I just tell him to be quiet as there are women and children on the bus.I used to lend him the odd fiver now and again for a few pints, he'd get in such a panic you'd go looking for him and demand your money back. He'd get in a real sate over it, anyway one particular time there was a knock at my door at 4 in the morning, bleary eyed I opened it to find Dave wanting to give me the money he had lent to stop me sending the heavy boys round He knew I worked on the post and was always up at that time, but you should have seen the look of horror on his face when I said it was my day off and he'd woken me up. He was sure someone would clonk him one for the slightest reason and tried his best not to upset anyone lol. He's often to be seen around the market, and places like the Three Legs, I'm sure a few on S.L must have seen, or at least heard him *!!*!!* about                         
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!