Local Characters

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

Just read a thread below about a strange man in Harehills. Has anyone here ever seen the walking monk? He's always in sandals and a robe and has been walking all over since at least the late 80,s. I work all over the city and always see him about. Pip your horn and he waves.also, the puppet man on the Dewsbury Road bus. I've often seen him giving a free hand puppet show on the back of the 2 or 3.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

The mad monk walks from bradford to leeds and back, hes been doing it since the 1960`s...apparently hes not short of a bob or two. he must be knocking on a bit now but he looks good from all that walking.

LS13

Post by LS13 »

I see him on a Sunday afternoon walking up towards Greengates. I thought he was wearing an ill fitting dress!

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Going back to the late 60's/early 70's when I still lived in Bramley.There were two brothers who I believe lived in Rodley, who never wore shoes, all year round! They apparently lived with their mum who raised them in a derelict house? (No social services back then!).Hard as nails they were - seen them take on 5 lads who attacked them once outside the Globe pub and they won!They were kind of legendary to us kids back then and we'd give them cigs. Any Bramley/Rodleyites remember them? Think their name was Nicholson or Nichols?
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Mungo

Post by Mungo »

Hi,When I was at Uni (Leeds Met between 1999 and 2002) there was an unusual bloke who used to come in the union bar for a pint at some point every Friday afternoon. I think he did a weekly crawl of the student-ey pubs up Otley Road.He wore cowboy boots, skin-tight black stonewashed (or similar) jeans and a big furry jacket, and he had long hair although he was receding quite severely and was at least mid forties age-wise. His whole appearance was a sort of 80's glam metal Guns n' Roses stylee.He never really spoke to anyone, except on one occaision I saw him talking to a bloke called Frank, who was a local character I vaguely knew in the pubs round Pontefract when I lived there (God know's what he was doing in the Leeds Met Union bar).I used to wonder what his story was, but never got round to asking. Has anyone ever seem him around?

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

Anyone seen the guy that gets on the bus in Belle Isle, who plays his guitar and sings on the bus? He's seen around the city centre too, playing his guitar to people in the streets.

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

Thought of another one! I used to go into the Atrium frequently, and there was a guy who did magic tricks. I think his name was Alan. He always wore a slightly strange outfit, I think his jackets were unusual. I've seen him in other pubs, but I can't remember which ones. His card tricks were always very impressive, although that might have been the booze!

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

Mungo wrote: Hi,When I was at Uni (Leeds Met between 1999 and 2002) there was an unusual bloke who used to come in the union bar for a pint at some point every Friday afternoon. I think he did a weekly crawl of the student-ey pubs up Otley Road.He wore cowboy boots, skin-tight black stonewashed (or similar) jeans and a big furry jacket, and he had long hair although he was receding quite severely and was at least mid forties age-wise. His whole appearance was a sort of 80's glam metal Guns n' Roses stylee.He never really spoke to anyone, except on one occaision I saw him talking to a bloke called Frank, who was a local character I vaguely knew in the pubs round Pontefract when I lived there (God know's what he was doing in the Leeds Met Union bar).I used to wonder what his story was, but never got round to asking. Has anyone ever seem him around? Yeah, that would be "cider" Paul He's been around for years.You'll often see him drinking cheap cider outside the Dry Dock with just about anyone. I've also seen him in the Fenton and "Rock of Ages"I'm sure he's in his 50's now.To talk to, he's quite well spoken and a little flamboyant.He used to go round the pubs selling CD's out of 3 tatty carrier bags.He once went berserk in Nafees restaurant. (in the 80's)    In spite of knowing him to talk to for years I don't know anyone who knows much about him which leaves it wide open to all manner of rumour and speculation.My favourite myth is, he's a qualified solicitor who was in a terrible car crash that brain damaged him and killed his pretty wife.Ill see if I can get a picture of him tonight, I'm sure he wont mind.

billy the buffalo

Post by billy the buffalo »

The family that did not wear shoes were i believe the Winroses and they lived in a big house that was opposite the Globe pub,one of them was in my class at Broad Lane i think it was Timothy...

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

billy the buffalo wrote: The family that did not wear shoes were i believe the Winroses and they lived in a big house that was opposite the Globe pub,one of them was in my class at Broad Lane i think it was Timothy... Ta for that BtB! Doesn't ring any bells I'm afraid. You're probably right tho - can't see there being two shoeless families in the area!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.