Local Characters

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

OOOOOPS!Oh dear!Must get a new hard drive fitted in Me 'ead!First,Sorry 'Magic'. I hadn't seen that posting. Will have a look nowTa!Next, Tabby Cat,Hadn't realised Old Liz died in '47! Must've been her wayward daughter I think I saw!(Joke?).I joined up in 1947 and didn't return to 'String-a-beads'until 1967! NOBODY Miss Me? Shame. Had a lot to catch up onafter that so mebbe the stories were still circulating abt Lizzie, still,and she became real again! (Well, I am 77,poor old sod!)Thanks ever so to you both for putting me right!Cheers Arry Awk ('Old Gimmer' Dept!)

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Arry dad - you could be confuddling Liz with Lil? There was deffo a "Woodbine Lil" around in the late 60's and 70's.Tho Lil was a poor streetwalker...rumour was you could cop a feel for 5 Park Drive - 20 Regent and she was "yours" on the Embankment for an hour! She operated twixt the Market and Marsh Lane.
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

*ponders*How does Scandy know this stuff? Hmmm...

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

JanCee wrote: *ponders*How does Scandy know this stuff? Hmmm... Cos I was a "lad on the town" most nights back then...and lived in student accommodation in Quarry Hill and had friends who were in the Marsh Lane student hovels. Being a gorgeous and sexy lad with long flowing blond hair back then, I had no trouble finding female student "company" for the night - any night! I was also a DJ at Leeds Poly disco in them days, which also meant playing the music supporting bands the concerts they put on in the Poly refec. - amazing what getting a girl into a gig for free, plying her with free drink and getting a rock star's signed photo for her would be rewarded with! So no personal experience of Woodbine Lil...just saw her around and heard the stories.
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

I went to that disco once or twice! Memory slightly fogged though....

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

JanCee wrote: I went to that disco once or twice! Memory slightly fogged though.... What years, JanCee - we may "know" each other!?!? I'm talking 1971 to 1974 here.Friday nights in the Refec at the Poly was band night...Spirit, BeBop Deluxe, Mike Absolom, Wild Angels, Michael Chapman, Stackridge, et all - Saturday night in the Common Room was simply "Hotsnot Disco", playing T.Rex, Hawkwind, Alex Harvey, Family, Led Zeppelin etc.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

S-o-o-o! All is revealed, what u got up to when WE thought you were having a jar or two in the Acorn and locally! You'da been locked in your room if yer Mum had known! Mebbe she did!Dunno about a 'Woodbine' Lil tho'. Could have been Liz's wayward daughter previously mentioned! Glad u stayed clear!EEEH! It were all different in my day! We SMOKED our Park Drive's and Weights in them days,not squandered them on what we knewnow't about! (Well,not much!).Wonder if Lil is 'Big Lil' who had, (HAS?) a pub of that name, down a yard off the Headrow? Looks a bit derelict at the mo'(The pub,not Lil!).CheersArrydad

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi MagicSorry I can't find that thread of 'Professor Marks' and the reference to Lizzie. How can I get on to it please?Arry

Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Thanks Magic,Troll ,Tabbycat and Ro-man for all that info re Lizzie!I seem to remember seeing her (PRE1947!) along WellingtonStreet in her railwayman's cap with badge,not at all likethe 'bag lady' style drawing on that site,She always seemed to wear a navy, or black tunic coat and trousers too.Re 'Fagash Lil', surely she was an imaginary character on 'Shut that Door' along with 'Slack Alice!!!'? What was the name of the guy(?)who presented the show? I was asked this in a recent quiz but couldn't remember! Grrr!Arry